Old 07-05-2004, 02:02 PM
J Fortuna

Default a Dtps that is in a hurry?

My recently acquired Dtps Taisuco Lotus x Taisuco Bobbie is behaving quite
differently from my other Phals/Dtps.

When I bought it on 4/24 of this year, it had 4 flowers open and 17 buds on
multiple branches.

Now (two weeks later) 5 of the buds have blasted, and 7 flowers have opened
(for a total of 11 open flowers now) -- 4 of these flowers opened
simultaneously last night. The bud blasting I assume is due primarily to the
move from plant nursery to my apartment -- I am not happy about it, but I
know it happens, so I accept it. What really surprised me was the speed with
which the flowers have been opening. From my other Phals/Dtps I am used to
only one bud opening at a time, and I have never before had 4 open at
once -- and two of them were on the same branch.

Is this fast opening of buds more likely to be a trait of this plant
(genetic or otherwise)? or is it another way of responding to the stress of
the move -- blast some buds, open others fast?

It's quite an impressive plant all told, and I will try to take photos this
weekend, but it's got me a bit puzzled -- just when I think I know what to
expect, I am proven wrong yet again.

Joanna

Old 07-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Diana Kulaga

Is this fast opening of buds more likely to be a trait of this plant
(genetic or otherwise)? or is it another way of responding to the stress

of
the move -- blast some buds, open others fast?

It's quite an impressive plant all told, and I will try to take photos

this
weekend, but it's got me a bit puzzled -- just when I think I know what to
expect, I am proven wrong yet again.

Hi, Joanna,

FWIW, we have a lot of Phals, and I can't say that they all behave the same.
Some open more quickly than others and some last longer than others. I've
gone to bed some nights absolutely certain that a particular plant will take
another few days to open up, only to find flowers in the morning. Never look
a gift horse in the mouth, I say! In any case, I'm sure you're right about
the blasting buds.

Diana

Old 10-05-2004, 07:26 PM
theoneflasehaddock

Subject: a Dtps that is in a hurry?
From: "J Fortuna"
Date: 5/7/2004 7:48 AM Central Daylight Time
[...]

It's the stress of the move.

I've had Phals and Cymbidiums do that.

-

theoneflasehaddock
Old 05-07-2004, 02:02 AM
resoluteplants

Can you describe the colors of "Dtps Taisuco Lotus x Taisuco Bobbie" ?

I recently purchased a plant that had two labels, including this one & I'm
trying to determine which (if either) it really is!

Thanks

RP

Old 05-07-2004, 04:04 AM
J Fortuna

RP,
Sure. The Dtps Taisuco Lotus x Taisuco Bobbie that I have I would describe
as "marbled" pink and white in color -- you know, like marble. David (my
husband) however would describe it as deep pink bordering on reddish-purple
with white streaks or straight white lines. Neither one of us is too happy
with the other's description of it, so I am giving you both versions.
Best,
Joanna

lkaboutgardening.com...

Hurry Bill[_13_] Gardening 0 30-03-2009 10:34 PM
DTPS kenty ;-\) Orchids 2 22-11-2003 02:05 AM
P. Dtps. Buds Shriveling Pristella Orchids 1 12-02-2003 07:25 PM
Dtps. Glenayle 'Amour Rojo' Peloric Gene Schurg Orchids 3 12-02-2003 04:55 PM
Dtps or Phal? Gideon Singer Orchids 4 11-02-2003 06:55 PM