Old 10-05-2004, 02:03 AM
K Barrett

Default web stat question

actually on topic, since its about an orchid website, LOL!!

What does 'unique visitor' mean? Supposedly the AOS Pacific Central website
has been getting an average of 1469 'unique visitors' this year, and I'd
like to think all this traffic isn't just me doing my webmastering chores.

So is a unique visitor a different web address each time? And how do it
know? Email addresses?

K Barrett
BSP: http://www.aospacificcentral.org

Old 10-05-2004, 03:04 AM
Ray

Webstat-type trackers place a cookie on the visitor's computer. "Unique" visitors are those that do
not have the cookie in place, i.e., new (Except, of course, for those of us that don't allow
cookies.)

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 10-05-2004, 05:11 PM
GrlIntrpted

It would depend on the script that the counter was written in. CGI scripts
(Common Gate Interface) are used for counters and generally, unique hits
means that it's a new visitor, it can be based on your IP address, whether
you have a cookies sitting in your computer from a previous visit,
etc.....Generally the counter software gives the webmaster the ability to
generate reports (that can be used for marketing, surveys, data collecting,
statistical work etc...) that tell him at which time a person from a
particular IP visited, (Some of this are created to resolve DNA's too, this
way they know exactly where you visited from, and well... who you are ,
how long that person spend on the web site, how long they spent on each
page, which links they used, what monitor resolution they use, what kind of
operating system they use, what browser they used to get to the website,
etc......).. sorry, that's way more than you asked. But generally unique
visitor is considered a user that either has no cookies from the website in
their machine, or someone who is really a new visitor .

Hope that it helps,
Mariana

Old 10-05-2004, 05:11 PM
K Barrett

So more people could be visiting the site than are counted?

K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
Webstat-type trackers place a cookie on the visitor's computer. "Unique"

visitors are those that do
not have the cookie in place, i.e., new (Except, of course, for those of

us that don't allow
cookies.)

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 10-05-2004, 05:11 PM
GrlIntrpted

Generally it's the other way around. Some people have more than one way to
access the internet . One person can be visiting from home, using their
internet provider. That same person can be accessing the site from their
job, and there they are using company provider to get to the site. As a
back up plan, the same person can have another internet provider that he
occasionally uses too . So generally the numbers are not as high as the
counter shows them.

Mariana

Old 10-05-2004, 05:12 PM
K Barrett

Thanks! I generally never even look at the web stats, but while waiting for
Survivor to come on I thought I'd check it out. Folks seems to come in,
look at a page or two and leave, generally 56 secs per visit. LOL!!

et...

Old 13-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Troy House

We track unique visitors on our site by capturing the browser's serial
number. So our daily average is greatly lower than actual hits.

--
Best,
Troy House

T-stat with a remote probe in pond? [email protected] Ponds 3 09-12-2006 04:49 PM
Web question again K Barrett Orchids 10 11-09-2004 09:55 PM
Web site question harry wong Orchids 2 30-12-2003 05:32 PM
Web hosting for your gardening web site. $1.95 per month Hostronica Web Hosting Gardening 0 01-05-2003 06:56 AM
Web site question! XdjipsterX Bonsai 0 03-03-2003 04:51 PM