Old 12-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Go Gators

Default Fertilizing

Should an orchid be fertilized once it has sent out a flower shoot??

Old 12-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Tom Randy

On Wed, 12 May 2004 09:58:12 -0400, Go Gators wrote:

Should an orchid be fertilized once it has sent out a flower shoot??

Yes.
Old 13-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Ray

This is not meant as a shot at the originator of this query, but can someone please tell my why one
would even consider stopping feeding when a plant is developing flowers or is blooming?

I've heard that question any number of times, and cannot think of a reason why that would even come
up.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 14-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Go Gators

I had heard from some people that fertilizing while buds are forming might
cause them blast.

Thanks for the feedback.

"Ray" wrote in message
This is not meant as a shot at the originator of this query, but can

someone please tell my why one
would even consider stopping feeding when a plant is developing flowers or

is blooming?

I've heard that question any number of times, and cannot think of a reason

why that would even come
up.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 16-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Kenni Judd

I, too, get that question a lot; it seems to be one of the well-established
myths. The only reason I've ever been able to think of is that some of the
fertilizers with dye in them might stain the flowers if it is sprayed on
them. Of course, I don't grow standard Cyms ... G

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 18-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Ray

Well, I've never heard that one. Maybe it's the case if you use a high-nitrogen fertilizer or
something, I don't know.

It just seems to me that flower growth and blooming is pretty energy intensive, so might actually be
a time to avoid starving the plant.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
. ..

Old 18-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:00:35 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

Well, I've never heard that one. Maybe it's the case if you use a high-nitrogen fertilizer or
something, I don't know.

It just seems to me that flower growth and blooming is pretty energy intensive, so might actually be
a time to avoid starving the plant.

I have often seen it about Cym. as soon as the new 'growth/spike'
starts. People say you have to stop feeding or the 'spike' will
turn to leaves. I think it is superstition due to the number of
times the spike was a new growth instead of the wished for
flowers.
SuE