Old 23-05-2004, 10:02 PM
samaki

Default Odp: Joanna........

Actually I think that it is very natural because the language of botany is
latin and polish language as you said has a lot in common with latin, I
think that problems could start when you would like to latinize eg. Japan
surname )

greetings from Poland
Martha

Użytkownik J Fortuna w wiadomo¶ci do grup
dyskusyjnych .. .
Steve,

So Cattleya warscewiczii's name started with the last name of a Polish
botanist, and then got a latinized ending? Hmm. Ok, in Polish there are

many
words that started out Latin, and then got a Polish ending attached to

them
to Polanize them, why not do it the other way around for a change?

Joanna

"Steve" wrote in message

J Fortuna wrote:

I just found a Polish orchid Web page that mentions this plant, but

instead
of Cattleya warscewiczii, it refers to it as "Katleja warszewicza"
(http://www.terrarystyka.pl/rosliny.p...20030223182541) -- so I

figure
if Polish sites are allowed to take liberties with the spelling of
"Cattleya", Americans should have every right to pronounce

warscewiczii
with
"Whiskey" at the end. :-) Does that sound fair?

Joanna

I don't know if I can go for that. Let me first say that I live in
the middle of nowhere and I go years without any verbal discussion
with other orchid growers. Nearly all of my orchid life is via
reading and writing so I often discover I have been pronouncing (to
myself) a name wrong.
With that disclaimer, it is my understanding that when a name has
been Latinized to end with ii on the end, that part is pronounced
"eee-eye". The ii ending is common so it's good to know what to do
with it. Miltonia endresii , for example would, I assume, be
pronounced "en-dres-ee-eye" or something close. If I am wrong, I
hope someone who speaks fluent orchid Latin will set me straight!

Steve

Joanna Lumley supports Free Tibet campaign! Kewpie Gardening 0 07-07-2004 03:02 PM
Odp: Odp: ID needed samaki Orchids 0 28-06-2004 10:03 AM
Odp: Joanna........ samaki Orchids 2 23-05-2004 11:04 PM
Odp: Joanna........ samaki Orchids 0 23-05-2004 10:02 PM
Joanna........ Diana Kulaga Orchids 6 23-05-2004 01:04 PM