Old 05-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Eric Hunt

Default Brachionidium species ID?

Hi everyone,

I've been trying, in vain, to identify this cute cute little Brachionidium
species I photographed in the Podocarpus National Park, Ecuador. There were
hundreds of these plants growing on the embankment of the path within 10
meters of the entrance to the park.

The flower:

http://www.orchidphotos.org/images/o...b/image012.htm

I checked out Luer's green book on Brachionidium from my orchid society
library and with the poor (for diagnostic purposes) photograph I have, the
closest match I could find was Brachionidium dodsonii.

If anyone else out there has any insight into Brachionidiums, I'd love to
hear from you! Go to my website for my email address to directly reply, or
just reply here.

Thanks,

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 05-06-2004, 11:14 PM
wendy7

Hi there Eric, I found this site & the flower looks exactly like yours?
http://www.pleurothallids.com/brachi...m_valerioi.htm
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 06-06-2004, 06:05 AM
Eric Hunt

Wendy,

Thanks for finding that! Unfortunately, the Brachionidium I found is in
Ecuador and has a completely different growth habit. There are two main
growth habits in Brachionidiums: trailing/scampering or not. The one I found
was the non-scampering one and the one on Lynn's site is scampering. (love
those technical terms!)

But isn't it strange that the flowers are so closely alike?

-Eric in SF