Old 06-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Mark & Jenny Brodie

Default burnt leaves

I'm having a similar problem to previous postees. We live in Sydney,
Australia (in the middle of a drought) and after a particularly hot day half
our cymbidiums leaves have got burnt. Some of the plants nearly had all
leaves burnt. Do the plants recover from this sort of treatment??
Jenny

Old 06-02-2003, 04:34 PM
K Barrett

Cosmetically speaking, no they don't recover. The leaves stay burned until
they eventually age and fall off. Speaking of the flowers and/or the general
health of teh plant, they go on to produce new pseudobulbs and flower as
before, given that you can provide the proper culture after the event. I've
neglected mine for years and amazingly they still produce spikes. Not great
ones, but spikes.

K Barrett

u...

Old 12-02-2003, 06:25 AM
Steve

I often let the local library borrow a Cymbidium or two while they are
in bloom. A few years ago, they decided to put one out on the back deck
after it was done flowering. After being in poor light for weeks, the
full sun really fried it! All I had left was leaf stubs about a foot tall.
The new growths grew right up and I don't think it had any trouble
blooming the next season.

Steve (in the Adirondacks)

Old 12-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Gene Schurg

Dang nabbit....son of a oxalis!!!

You guys who ignore and mistreat Cymbidiums only to have them bloom for you
make be so mad! I care for mine and follow all the instructions only to
have one of six bloom. The one that bloomed is the least pretty of the
plants I have.

Good Growing,
Gene

(sorry for such language but life and orchid growing isn't fair....I'm going
to pout in my greenhouse)

Old 12-02-2003, 04:55 PM
K Barrett

Someone once told me there was a climatologic Cymbidium Belt that exists
around the globe. Try to grow them above/below certain latitudes and they
just fail to respond. I don't know if that is true or not. I dimly recall
that cym blooming depends on hours of daylight, light intensity and a 20
degree diurnal temp variation. Especially in the early fall when they are
starting to set buds embryos.

K Barrett

rthlink.net...

Old 13-02-2003, 04:25 AM
Gene Schurg

KB,

I know that they are easier to grow in some places than others. For
example, the coast of California has some great success.

Here in the DC area we have hot humid summers. The summer sun is very
intense. I have seen a few folks with cool greenhouses that have be very
successful with blooming them. I leave my plants outdoors as long as
possible in the fall but eventually they have to come inside where the
choice is warm humid greenhouse or dry and somewhat cooler living space in
the house where the light is not as good.

I have started to buy some warm tolerant varieties that will give me some
satisfaction.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 14-02-2003, 03:03 AM
Dave Sheehy

Gene Schurg ) wrote:
: KB,

: I know that they are easier to grow in some places than others. For
: example, the coast of California has some great success.

: Here in the DC area we have hot humid summers. The summer sun is very
: intense. I have seen a few folks with cool greenhouses that have be very
: successful with blooming them. I leave my plants outdoors as long as
: possible in the fall but eventually they have to come inside where the
: choice is warm humid greenhouse or dry and somewhat cooler living space in
: the house where the light is not as good.

: I have started to buy some warm tolerant varieties that will give me some
: satisfaction.

Hmm, I live in inland California where we have very hot although not very
humid summers and I have no problem keeping them or getting them to bloom.
They live outdoors all year long under an overhang (for frost protection).
You probably have to bring yours in though since your area gets a lot colder
than here. I'd guess that heat is not the issue but rather you're not giving
them the daily 20-25F temperature swing they need to set buds.

Dave

burnt leave tips ///Boochap/// Orchids 2 14-07-2004 10:05 PM
Cedar/Burnt Pine Lighthouses LynyrdSky Ponds 2 22-01-2004 02:02 PM
Cedar/Burnt Pine Lighthouses LynyrdSky Ponds 0 21-01-2004 12:59 PM
Burnt tomatoes sebastien Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Saving burnt pine tree Robin Henderson Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM