Old 16-06-2004, 12:06 AM
GrlIntrpted

Default Paph St. Swithin

The darn thing not only wont flower, but is now behaving oddly. One growth
with a leaf span of 28". The new leaf is flopping. Similiar to the Phal
leaf that grows too quickly and flops. I propped it up with a metal spike
support for now. Why would a paph leaf behave in such a fashion, any reason
for concern?

Mariana
======
http://www.geocities.com/gardengrl911
http://orchidfever.blogspot.com/

Old 16-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Gene Schurg

Sounds like you need a bit more light. The strap leaved paphs take more
light the their smaller brethren. Also, a new fast growing leaf may stiffen
up when it matures if it gets enough light. Just be careful handling it
when its in this form since the damage is easy on soft tissues.

The low light may be your blooming problem as well.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 16-06-2004, 02:05 AM
GrlIntrpted

I don't know Gene, btw thanks for the response. Currently, it is on the
western side of the house, complete western exposure with sun shining on it
in the afternoon. The light comes through a mosquito screen so I'm not
certain if that cuts down on the light a bit. But it's been moved from
practically NO direct light at all, to the type of a light which I just
described. It gets about 3 hours of this type of light, do you think that
it's not bright enough?

Mariana
======
--
Puritanism: The constant fear that someone, somewhere might be happy.
--H L Mencken

nk.net...

Old 16-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Gene Schurg

It sounds like it would be bright enough but not a long enough duration. 3
hours of light seems like a short period of time. Can you put it where it
would get some morning light for a bit longer? Of course be careful you
don't burn it when you change the environment.

Old 17-06-2004, 02:03 AM
GrlIntrpted

I can actually keep it outdoors where it can get much more light and lots
more humidity, but I would have to constantly shift it (away from direct
sun). Also, it can get kind of hot in my neck of the woods, even too hot
for some Phal species. How would the St.Swithin deal with such conditions?
(NYC zone 6b).

-M

Old 17-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Myrmecodia

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message t...
I can actually keep it outdoors where it can get much more light and lots
more humidity, but I would have to constantly shift it (away from direct
sun). Also, it can get kind of hot in my neck of the woods, even too hot
for some Phal species. How would the St.Swithin deal with such conditions?
(NYC zone 6b).

I think it would be fine. St Swithin is Paphiopedilum (philippinense
x rothschildianum). I've grown P. philippinense outdoors in full sun
during the summer (North Carolina, zone 7) with no problems. A person
who had seen it growing in the wild told me she saw it on open
hillsides with very little shade from small scrubby trees. That's near
sea level in the tropics. Paphiopedilum rothschildianum is from
higher altitude, but I would expect the hybrid to be pretty tolerant.
Just be careful moving it into brighter light, so you don't scorch the
leaves that are adapted to less light.
Old 18-06-2004, 09:04 PM
GrlIntrpted

Thanks for the tips everyone. I moved it to the window sill where it gets
much more light [I'm keeping an eye on it, to make sure that it doesn't
burn], and a few hours later the leaf did not droop anymore, in fact, I
removed the support from the pot and it's erect and isn't drooping.

Thanks again,
Mariana

om...

Old 19-06-2004, 03:04 PM
TRAINMAN9

Depending on what grex of p.rothchildianum was used it may be a reluctant
bloomer. We used p.rothchildianum 'Charles E' in a number of crosses and most
of them were very unreliable bloomers.

Some of the more recent awarded roths seems to be free flowering.

Old 20-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Steve

TRAINMAN9 wrote:
..........We used p.rothchildianum 'Charles E' in a number of crosses and most
of them were very unreliable bloomers.........................

Oh foo, I have 2 or 3 Paph seedlings that have 'Charles E' as one of
the parents.
Perhaps you (or anyone else here) can answer a question I have been
wondering about. I have Wildcatt (almost 2 years out of date at this
point) and looking at awards in there didn't answer the question for me.
There is a Paph. rothschildianum 'Charles E. Edwards' FCC/AOS. I
also see listed Paph. rothschildianum 'Charles E' FCC/AOS. I also
sometimes see 'Charles Edwards'.
Are all 3 versions really the same clone? Are there really 3
different clones with interrelated names? Maybe 2 are the same?

When I search google, I just find one of the names with no reference
to the others. I could keep looking but I'm sure people here know
the answer and can clear this up for me. :-)

Steve

Old 20-06-2004, 12:02 PM
TQPL

Hi Steve,

Reckon they should all be the same clone.
The variation comes about from label writing.
Should be the long one

Paph. rothschildianum 'Charles E. Edwards' FCC/AOS

There is an old pic of one in flower that we
flowered back in the early 1970's
There are much better pics around, I admit.

http://tinyurl.com/2ppzy

Regards
Alan L Winthrop.

Old 20-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Steve

Thanks. Your picture shows yet another variation in the name:
Paph. rothschildianum 'Charles Edwin Edwards' FCC/AOS
Last night when I was looking around on the web, I found this
picture. Somebody didn't have any trouble flowering this one:
http://www.orchidhouse.com/art/2b.jpg

Steve

Old 20-06-2004, 06:03 PM
TRAINMAN9

Paph. rothschildianum 'Charles Edwin Edwards' FCC/AOS

They are all the same. We always referred to it as 'Charles E'. We made a
number of crosses with this grex and found that they were reluctant bloomers.
One cross in particular p. roth x charlesworthii is almost twenty years old and
out of over 200 plants we only flowered one. It grows like a weed but is a very
reluctant bloomer. We also re-made a number of the roth primary hybrids Lady
Isabel, Transvall and others and also found them to be reluctant bloomers. You
have just apparently had better success than we did. The photo of the grex at
the Orchid House web site is indeed impressive.

We also made a cross of p. Mt. Toro and curtisii and I have yet to see one
flower although they have nice mottled foliage.
Old 21-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Steve

TRAINMAN9 wrote:

have just apparently had better success than we did.

Well, I haven't had any success at all yet. My plants that have
Charles E as a parent are still fairly small.

Thank you very much for the information though. Now it is very clear
that all the name variations are really the same plant. Furthermore,
if my Charles E crosses don't bloom, I will know that maybe it isn't
just me.

Steve