Old 06-02-2003, 11:22 PM
Gene Schurg

Default Dtps. Glenayle 'Amour Rojo' Peloric

Last year I purchased Dtps. Glenayle 'Amour Rojo' from another orchid
society member. It is peloric and starting to bloom with really different
peloric blossoms. It's going to be great when all the buds open.

I just did a search on this plant and found it offered from several vendors.
The plants are not peloric in the pictures.

How did this happen? Since this is a mericlone shouldn't all of the plants
clones be peloric?

Confused again,
Gene

Old 12-02-2003, 12:25 PM
Pat Brennan

Hi Gene,

In a batch of a couple hundred clones, I will often get a couple of mutants
that come out peloric. It is not like the whole batch of clones has
mutated, just a plant here and there. It seems to happen to some plants
more than others. Another interesting thing about these is that the peloric
mutants are not identical, some might be semi peloric while others may have
the full set of three lips. They do seem to be stable in that they bloom
the same way year after year.

I do not really understand peloric phals and do not think they can be
explained with what is taught in bio 101. I have had plants bloom normal
for years convert to the peloric form never to bloom normal again. My
favorite peloric plant is a Phal Shenandoah Premiere, it often sends out
three spikes; one spike will have normal flowers, another spike will have
all semi peloric flowers, while the third spike on the same plant has three
lips on all its flowers. It is not like the plant got wacked out and did it
once, it does it regularly. Beats me.

Pat Brennan

hlink.net...

Old 12-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Gene Schurg

Pat,

Thanks for the reply. The flowers on this plant have the "extra" lips on
the lower petals and the dorsal petal is very ruffled that makes it look
very "Victorian".

What happens to these plants when you clone them? Do the offspring show the
alteration?

I've put some keiki grow on one bud to see if I can get another plant. It
will be years before I know if this goes with the plant.

Do you have any Shenandoah Premiere (peloric) available in your greenhouse?
I'd love to get one. Pelorics are fun to have around (even though AOS
Judging doesn't seem to like them).

Gene

.. .

Old 12-02-2003, 04:55 PM
K Barrett

Rob Griesback says pelorism and splashs arise from the same gene and depends
on when exactly the gene is switched on. Early, you get one, later the
other. I only mention this because I liked your comment about this trait
being beyond Bio 101. When I was in school there was little if any
discussion about genes switching on or off. Almost makes me want to go back
to school.

I said 'almost'.

K Barrett