Old 17-10-2004, 04:28 AM
J Fortuna

Default peloric or not peloric that is the question

I only now realized that the two petals of my Phal Mystic Isles (one of the
plants that I bought at the NCOS show) the two petals that are more pink
than the others also have folded edges, sort of as if someone had taken the
edge and physically folded it over a bit, like what one might do to the
corner of a book page if one doesn't have a bookmark and doesn't care about
damaging the book. Is this plant peloric? All of its flowers seem to have
this currently to some extent, though for some it's just a very small piece
of petal that's folded, whereas for others it's quite a chunk of the petal.
All the petals and sepal of these flowers are white with pink stripes, but
on these two petals the stripes are so densely together that it looks like
it has rouged its cheeks, whereas the others just have sparse pink lines and
are mostly white. And then this same plant also has the strange phenomenon
of two buds fused together into one. It's quite fascinating really. I like
the plant a lot. And if it is peloric, it's a very attractive peloric.

My question for you is: could all these be signs of stress? or some sort of
cultural causes? or (hopefully not) a viral infection? How do I tell for
sure? Don't get me wrong: I really like the plant, but since I currently
still have it separated from the rest of my collection and am trying to
establish whether it is healthy enough to integrate with the rest, so I have
been observing it, and am wondering, since it is somewhat weird.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the vendor that I got it from
(just that it was one of the NCOS vendors, and I could describe the location
of the vendor in the sales tent during last weekend's show, but not the name
of the vendor), and so I can't ask the vendor.

Thanks,
Joanna

Old 17-10-2004, 04:50 AM
Steve

From your description, I thought maybe it was a little peloric, but
then I went back to the picture on ABPO and took a good look. I don't
think so. The color in the petals doesn't really match the color in the
lip and the shape of the petals doesn't really mimic the shape of the lip.
Some may call it peloric but that would be stretching the definition of
peloric a little too far for my comfort.
I would not be worried about virus in this case. Possibly stress changed
the shape of the petals and you'll know it did if it blooms with a more
normal shape next time. I'm betting the shape is just normal for this
particular plant though.

Steve

Old 17-10-2004, 04:50 AM
Steve

From your description, I thought maybe it was a little peloric, but

J Fortuna wrote:

[...]

Peloric or Not. . . . Again! Wendy7 Orchid Photos 4 02-02-2008 05:18 PM
Peloric or not? Wendy7 Orchid Photos 1 30-01-2008 09:00 PM
peloric or not peloric that is the question J Fortuna Orchids 0 17-10-2004 04:28 AM
phal equestris, peloric forms dd Orchids 0 17-03-2004 12:50 PM
Dtps. Glenayle 'Amour Rojo' Peloric Gene Schurg Orchids 3 12-02-2003 04:55 PM