Old 28-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Richard Cline

Default Newby seeks orchid advice

I have a couple phalaenopsis that i enjoy very much. One has just
dropped its last blossom. I assume the next step is to cut the stem
back close to the bottom.
How close should I cut?
Should I repot at this time?
What should I look for next to indicate that the plant is healthy?

Thanks for any advice.

Dick
Old 28-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Rob Halgren

Richard Cline wrote:

I have a couple phalaenopsis that i enjoy very much. One has just
dropped its last blossom. I assume the next step is to cut the stem
back close to the bottom.
How close should I cut?

Personally, I would cut it about an inch from the base. Use a
clean, sharp knife or scissors.

Should I repot at this time?

Sure. Now is a great time. Remember not to put it back into a pot
that is too big, the smaller the pot the better.

What should I look for next to indicate that the plant is healthy?

When it is out of the pot, examine the roots. Healthy phal roots
are plump, firm, and white. If you have a bunch of mushy black roots
(you will have a few, everybody does), then you are watering too much or
waited far too long to repot. As the plant is in your care, the newest
leaves, when mature, should be as big or bigger than the previous leaf.
The true test is getting the plants to bloom again, if you can do that,
then you are well on your way to orchid addiction.

Thanks for any advice.

That's what we are here for...

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm - e-mail for a list )
Old 29-06-2004, 04:09 AM
J Fortuna

Dick,

If the plant is healthy, you might just leave the spike and see, if it dries
out then cut it, but as long as the spike stays green there is a chance that
the Phal will reuse it.

A story of a Phal reusing a spike:

I gave a Phal to my mother-in-law last July. It's a sequential bloomer, so
it's blooms will wilt and then new buds form on the same spike. In December,
around Christmas time, it started a second spike, but since the first spike
was still green, she left it on, and then she noticed renewed activity on
this first spike as well. We got a call from her yesterday, and she reports
that her Phal now has three spikes in bloom, including the original spike,
it has also grown a new leaf recently and lots of roots. And this is her
first orchid ever. I must admit to being a bit jealous, since none of my 20
orchids have formed more than one spike at a time in my apartment. I think
the reasons for my mother-in-law's success include: She has an Eastern
bay-window to die for. Also she likes to bring down the heat at night, so
her day-night temperatures fluctuate quite a bit. Anyway, if she had cut
down the first spike after it was done blooming for the first time, she
might have missed the current display of three spikes in bloom.

Best,
Joanna

Phal. newby ??? Roman Terps Orchids 5 11-09-2004 03:02 PM
Another Newby Gardener Question Carol Kavanagh Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Pelargoniums/geraniums newby question Carol Kavanagh Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Beginner seeks advice on orchid plants, books, fertilizing, growing medium ..... Susan Erickson Orchids 3 19-02-2003 10:16 PM
Beginner seeks advice on orchid plants, books, fertilizing, growing Tessmann Orchids 0 19-02-2003 04:39 AM