Old 14-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Steve

Default Washing pots?

I wait until I have a nice collection of used pots, then I load them
in the dish washer. I wash them just like a load of dishes except I
don't bother to let them go through the dry cycle (if I'm right
there to open the door).
Some pots may have a few surviving root fragments. Those are easily
scraped off with anything that is handy. Most of the pots will look
just like new (I use plastic pots). They get a bleach bath before
they are ready to be reused.

Steve

K Barrett wrote:

Anyone have a tip for a quick way to wash out pots? I bought a bunch of new
pots 6" (or larger) for plants that had out grown their pots and wouldn't ya
know it? Now I need a bunch of 3", 4" 5" etc pots for other plants to move
up into. So I'm stuck washing out those old pots. I get all happy that I
have a stock of nice clean pots, sit down and do some repotting then lo and
behold! I got all these dang dirty pots again!! LOL!! Its a never ending
cycle.

I had an epiphany the other day. I came to realize that I had so dang many
old dirty pots (DNODP) that I didn't have to keep any pot that was a pain in
the neck to clean. I recycled any with edges that grime congregates in, and
kept only ones with whatever shape was straightsided and easy to clean. So
that was my only contribution to making pot cleaning easier.

I tend to like the square plastic pots, only because they don't have the lip
azalea pots have (and tags get stuck on). Plus you can put more on a bench.

K Barrett

Old 16-07-2004, 12:02 AM
dd

Yep, I do the same. The drying cycle can melt some pots, so it's a good
idea to open the door before the drying cycle. Actually, I'm going to
S/H for all of my orchids, so most of the pots that go through the
dishwasher are destined to be donated to my orchid society.

Old 16-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Ray

A trick I used to use for large aquarium rock to remove algae was the substitution of salt for soap.

While the plants can handle small soap residues, the fish were less tolerant.