Old 17-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Orchidguy

Default Hydrogen peroxide

I was told that hydrogen peroxide is good to combat fungus on orchids , does
anyone know if this is true, and if so should I dilute it , to me it seems i
could burn the young growths or leaves?....
any info is greatly appeciated
Thanks & bright days!
Todd

Old 17-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Kenni Judd

I have a couple of professional colleagues using it, both are very happy
with the results. I did a lot of looking around on the Net, the general
recommendation for "houseplants" is 4 oz/gallon of the 3% strength readily
available in groceries and pharmacies. We are still in early trials, here,
but so far I have not seen any plant damage.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

om...

Old 17-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Ray

Alan Koch of Gold Country Orchids espouses its use straight from the bottle as a fungicide and as an
oxygenator for the medium.

As the peroxide will decompose almost instantly upon contact with most organic compounds, it is
unlikely that it would do any damage, and cannot produce free oxygen for very long.

..
om...

Old 17-07-2004, 11:02 PM
profpam

Hi all,

Although we have had great success via other methods, we have found that nothing has ever germinated in
hydrogen proxide flasks, and we do not see the great benefit herein. Don't wish to be confrontational;
however, we are just stating it as it is.

So, our results are nil in every regards in referrence to hydrogen proxide. (This info. is released to
the public via our personal experiments). Happy growing!

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Ray wrote:

Alan Koch of Gold Country Orchids espouses its use straight from the bottle as a fungicide and as an
oxygenator for the medium.

As the peroxide will decompose almost instantly upon contact with most organic compounds, it is
unlikely that it would do any damage, and cannot produce free oxygen for very long.

.
om...

Old 18-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:57:19 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

Alan Koch of Gold Country Orchids espouses its use straight from the bottle as a fungicide and as an
oxygenator for the medium.

As the peroxide will decompose almost instantly upon contact with most organic compounds, it is
unlikely that it would do any damage, and cannot produce free oxygen for very long.

I had read that if you had crown rot you could safely water the
plant with peroxide. I used it on two and they survived. Not a
guaranteed thing for Phals in my care.
SuE
Old 18-07-2004, 12:02 PM
ilaboo

Ray wrote:

Alan Koch of Gold Country Orchids espouses its use straight from the bottle as a fungicide and as an
oxygenator for the medium.

As the peroxide will decompose almost instantly upon contact with most organic compounds, it is
unlikely that it would do any damage, and cannot produce free oxygen for very long.

.
"Orchidguy" wrote in message
.com...

I was told that hydrogen peroxide is good to combat fungus on orchids , does
anyone know if this is true, and if so should I dilute it , to me it seems i
could burn the young growths or leaves?....
any info is greatly appeciated
Thanks & bright days!
Todd

of some interest very dilute phosphoric acid is used as a stabilizer in
hydrogen peroxide--might be very good for your plants.
Old 18-07-2004, 07:02 PM
unknown

In article ,
Susan Erickson wrote:

I had read that if you had crown rot you could safely water the
plant with peroxide. I used it on two and they survived. Not a
guaranteed thing for Phals in my care.
SuE

ditto here; now, as for whether the plant will grow a new leaf, i'll get
back to y'all in a few months.

--j_a
Old 18-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Diana Kulaga

"unknown" wrote in message
In article ,
Susan Erickson wrote:

I had read that if you had crown rot you could safely water the
plant with peroxide. I used it on two and they survived. Not a
guaranteed thing for Phals in my care.
SuE

ditto here; now, as for whether the plant will grow a new leaf, i'll get
back to y'all in a few months.

--j_a

I saved a favorite Phal that way too. It had three crowns, no evidence of
crown rot or any other problem. The only thing left to do was pour peroxode
through it. Lost two crowns, but the remaining one is hearty.

Diana

Old 18-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:07:28 -0400, unknown
wrote:

ditto here; now, as for whether the plant will grow a new leaf, i'll get
back to y'all in a few months.

--j_a

I had one that held out with 1 limp leaf until the next growing
season... then it grew a new crown and bloomed shortly. It could
take 9-12 months to see that new crown.
SuE