Old 18-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Hooter

Default Pruning Dendrobium

I have a small dendrobium nobile that I have repotted. I trimmed some of
the old roots and two new stalks are growing nicely. The three original
stalks have lost their leaves and seem to be dead or dormant. Should I trim
the old stalks and, if so, how close to the base. Thanks for any help

Old 18-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Steve

Leave them there until the day comes that they are dry and truly
dead. Until then, they store food and water to help support the
newer growth. Also, most of the flowers may come from those old
stalks. I'm sure you are hoping for flowers. ;-)

Steve

Old 18-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:16:27 -0400, Steve
wrote:

Leave them there until the day comes that they are dry and truly
dead. Until then, they store food and water to help support the
newer growth. Also, most of the flowers may come from those old
stalks. I'm sure you are hoping for flowers. ;-)

Steve

Since you said they seem dead or dormant - I will emphasis what
Steve said " they are dry and truly dead." He is talking about
when the Dendrobium cane turns yellow, is shriveled up and often
bends suddenly in half (it has collapsed on itself). The old
canes can look very "old" and still be working hard. Don't prune
roots from these canes either. These canes are the water/food
storage of the plant.

Dendrobium's like to be 'pot bound or root bound' which ever way
you look at it. They want NO extra space in the pot. I hope
your repotting was not to a larger pot.
SuE
Old 18-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Hooter

Thanks Steve and Susan for your prompt response. I wondered about trimming
the roots but saw that advice somewhere else on the web and I did put it in
a slightly larger pot. I will leave it where it is now for the long hall.
I am just now learning a little about care and growing of orchids.

Hooter

Old 21-07-2004, 06:05 AM
Steve

Hooter wrote:

I have a small dendrobium nobile that I have repotted. I trimmed some of
the old roots and two new stalks are growing nicely. The three original
stalks have lost their leaves and seem to be dead or dormant. Should I trim
the old stalks and, if so, how close to the base. Thanks for any help

Dendrobium Judith - Dendrobium Judith-a.jpg joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 1 11-03-2013 01:42 PM
Dendrobium monophyllum - cute small yellow dendrobium Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 3 03-01-2007 08:59 AM
Dendrobium johannis - lovely rich brown antelope dendrobium Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 02-01-2007 06:26 AM
Pruning Dendrobium Hooter Orchids 1 22-07-2004 07:19 PM
Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Andrew G Bonsai 0 30-06-2004 01:05 PM