Old 27-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Seong

Default ooii orchid

Hi,
Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase an orchid called ooii?
Thanks

Old 27-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Claude

Hello!

The orchid you are talking about is a Paph. ooii!
I found this link on the web:
http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/peopl...newpaph14.html

I don`t know where to get it but good luck!

Claude

Old 27-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Claude

Old 28-07-2004, 11:35 AM
GARLAND HANSON

Google turns up no dealers on my machine. It was described only in 1999 so
it may be a few years before offerings begin to show. Like all new
discoveries, I'm sure initial offerings will be limited and pricey.
Personally, I don't have room for a plant with a HUGE leaf span, a 6' long
spike, and an unremarkable flower. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,
however!

Good luck and be patient!
Garland

Old 28-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Kenni Judd

Wild guess based solely on the name: Ooi Leng Sun Orchids. I don't have
contact info for them at my fingertips. They were at the last Redlands, you
might be able to find a website or email from the Redlands website, or via
Google. Good hunting,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 29-07-2004, 04:56 AM
Dicky

What is the meaning of OOII?, Paph ooii is a werid in all paph species.
"Kenni Judd" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D

Old 29-07-2004, 05:38 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:56:15 +0800, "Dicky"
wrote:

What is the meaning of OOII?, Paph ooii is a werid in all paph species.

Claude found the web site address that explains it all.
Ooii is a man's name. The Paph is named after him.

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/peopl...newpaph14.html

Dr. Tanaka's has a descriptive site of all the newly discovered
paphs. He also reminds us all to be patient. They will
eventually become legal as seedlings are grown.
SuE

Old 29-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Pat Brennan

Default ooii orchid and Phragimipaphium pictures

It is crime to own plants of Ooii, flasks of seedlings of it, or any hybrid
which contains Ooii as a parent here in the US. The same is basically true
for all the newly discovered paphs shown on Dr. Tanaka's web site. (I have
heard there are some legal vietnamense out there now.) It does not seem
that Taiwan is playing by the same rules and you may see vendors from there
selling flasks with these plants at a US orchid show. Read the current
Arias Sentenced thread or better yet Orchid Fever before getting involved
with illegal plants.

On the legal side, Dr. Tanaka's web site also documents the results of a
cross between Phrag besseae X Paph malipoense.

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/peopl...ial/enbxm.html

Pat

Old 29-07-2004, 04:40 PM
tennis maynard

Pat Brennan wrote:
It is crime to own plants of Ooii, flasks of seedlings of it, or any hybrid
which contains Ooii as a parent here in the US. The same is basically true
for all the newly discovered paphs shown on Dr. Tanaka's web site. (I have
heard there are some legal vietnamense out there now.) It does not seem
that Taiwan is playing by the same rules and you may see vendors from there
selling flasks with these plants at a US orchid show. Read the current
Arias Sentenced thread or better yet Orchid Fever before getting involved
with illegal plants.

On the legal side, Dr. Tanaka's web site also documents the results of a
cross between Phrag besseae X Paph malipoense.

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/peopl...ial/enbxm.html

Pat

Yes, it is a crime here (US) in "the land of the free", but they and all
the other new paph species are available everywhere else in the world,
iuncluding a few miles over the border in Canada. Just not here. Odd
turn of events. But we are no longer free, and this is only one piece of
the puzzle.

Old 30-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Steve

Did everyone notice that the one hybrid had 3 sepals? That made it
even more odd.

Steve

Myrmecodia wrote:

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message ...

On the legal side, Dr. Tanaka's web site also documents the results of a
cross between Phrag besseae X Paph malipoense.

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/peopl...ial/enbxm.html

Or, it documents the results of what is claimed to be a cross between
P. besseae and P. malipoense. As Dr. Tanaka points out, the flower
strongly resembles a cochlopetalum paph hybrid, and the pouch does not
have any characteristics of either purported parent. Perhaps a mixup
in the flasking lab?

The other hybrid looks a bit more promising, but it will probably
require DNA testing to be sure.

Nick

Old 30-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Seong

Thanks to all for the tips. Does anyone know why it's illegal in the States?

"Seong" wrote in message

Hi,
Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase an orchid called ooii?
Thanks

Need Help ID'ing an Orchid (or orchid-type plant)... [email protected] Orchids 0 07-12-2004 10:40 AM
ooii orchid Seong Orchids 0 27-07-2004 03:24 PM
Orchid research at the ANH [Was: Orchid Taxonomy and Mycorrhiza] Phred Plant Science 0 04-09-2003 03:23 PM
WANTED: back issues of the American Orchid Society Bulletin & The Orchid Digest. Kenneth Bruyninckx Orchids 0 02-09-2003 08:02 PM