Old 06-09-2004, 06:24 PM
GARLAND HANSON

Default Artificial Lighting Recs

I have a ton of orchids in a greenhouse but I want to try some mottled-leaf
paphs inside on shelving under artificial light next to an eastern window.
I'm using a wire four-shelf unit on caster wheels that measures 48" x 18".
I've got the trays, watering, humidity, and air movement down. What I'm up
in the air about is the lighting. Opinions on the web seem to be plentiful.
What I'm looking for are people that are successfully growing orchids under
lights themselves.

I'll be using 48" tubes. The fixtures and tubes seem to be plentiful at
Home Depot and Lowes. I'd like to have lighting that is effective, quiet,
and economical. Can I have all three???

Regarding fixtures...
Should I use the 2 or 4 tube units? Both are available. My shelves are 18"
wide.
Should I try the T12 or higher-priced T8 fixtures? Both are available. I
understand the T8 fixtures are quieter and are more economical to operate.
They are more expensive than the T12s.
Should the fixtures be used with the diffuser panel installed or used with
the bulbs exposed without the diffuser?
Are there fixtures that are quieter than others?

Regarding florescent lighting tubes...
Should 32W T8 or 40W T12 units be used? Both are available in full spectrum
tubes.
How far away should the tubes be from the paphs? These are all PB plants.
How long should the lights be on during the day? (I've read anywhere from
12-18hrs/day.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'll post a photo of my setup when
it is complete.

Garland
Midlothian, VA

Artificial Lighting Recs GARLAND HANSON Orchids 11 10-09-2004 01:33 AM
Artificial Lighting Recs mg Orchids 0 07-09-2004 11:58 PM
[IBC] was Artificial lighting, Now swamps Moontanman Bonsai 2 14-07-2003 04:49 PM
[IBC] Artificial lighting Manuel A Chavez Bonsai 28 14-07-2003 04:22 AM
Artificial lighting Moontanman Bonsai 0 10-07-2003 01:57 AM