GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Paph new spike versus new leaf (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/83645-paph-new-spike-versus-new-leaf.html)

Steve 10-12-2004 05:50 AM

OK Joanna, it's been nearly 3 months. What's the good word on the Paph.
malipoense bud? For some reason, I keep remembering you finding the
bud and I wonder how things are going. I had to go to the google
archives to find this post and I joined so I could reply to this old
thread.

Steve

J Fortuna 10-12-2004 01:13 PM

Steve,
It's doing very well. Thank you for asking. The spike is now 16 inches long,
and almost entirely straight upright with no staking needed so far. I love
the feel of the spike, it's hairy and the hairs are very soft -- very
petable. This is in stark contrast to the leaves which are very coarse
(almost sandpaper like), providing for interesting contrasts in texture.
It's bud until now consisted of two sepals (?) facing each other and bent
into canoe like shapes, but now the pouch is starting to form inside and it
is starting to pull the two other existing parts apart. I have been struck
by how pretty the bud looks even in it's earlier stages, one could almost
say that it's already in flower, and the flower will just keep changing with
time. Overall I enjoy the paph malipoense immensely, and would greatly
recommend this species to anyone interested. The advice given on this group,
that it's spiking period is so long, at first scared me, since I am
definitely not a patient person, but the thing is that it's not like it goes
a long time without progressing further, and so the activity of the spike
and bud keeps me entertained, and I don't mind one bit.
Joanna

oups.com...

Steve 10-12-2004 02:44 PM

Great news. I'm glad you have been enjoying it and it sounds as if it is
getting pretty close to really opening.

I guess I have been reminded of your plant because I am watching buds
develop on two of my Paphs. My two are hybrids ands I'm sure they will
not make me wait so long to bloom. The buds look pretty big compared to
other Paphs I have flowered, even though they are only about an inch
above the leaves at the moment.

Steve

J Fortuna wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

Susan Erickson 10-12-2004 04:36 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:44:55 -0500, Steve
wrote:

Great news. I'm glad you have been enjoying it and it sounds as if it is
getting pretty close to really opening.

I guess I have been reminded of your plant because I am watching buds
develop on two of my Paphs. My two are hybrids ands I'm sure they will
not make me wait so long to bloom. The buds look pretty big compared to
other Paphs I have flowered, even though they are only about an inch
above the leaves at the moment.

Steve

I find paph malipoense fascinating but frustrating because we
grew so many hybrids first and I was used to their growth time.
Steve you are being as frustrating as mali by tantalizing us with
"hybrids" and not naming what is in spike. G GIVE.
SuE

Steve 10-12-2004 05:03 PM

Susan Erickson wrote:

...Steve you are being as frustrating as mali by tantalizing us with
"hybrids" and not naming what is in spike. G GIVE.
SuE

Ha! I would have to go look. ... Actually, I remember one: Paph.
Personality 'Courage' . The other one I have no idea at the moment.
Both are complex hybrids. These 2 are from a group of 12 plants that I
picked up cheap about a year ago from Baker and Chantry as they were
selling off their plants.
Rest assured that when they finally bloom, I will post the pictures on
ABPO complete with names.

Steve

Steve 30-12-2004 01:40 AM

Susan Erickson wrote:

...Steve you are being as frustrating as mali by tantalizing us with
"hybrids" and not naming what is in spike. G GIVE.
SuE

Ha! I would have to go look. ... Actually, I remember one: Paph.
Personality 'Courage' . The other one I have no idea at the moment.
Both are complex hybrids. These 2 are from a group of 12 plants that I
picked up cheap about a year ago from Baker and Chantry as they were
selling off their plants.
Rest assured that when they finally bloom, I will post the pictures on
ABPO complete with names.

Steve

It's a few weeks later now and the time is getting close. :-)
The buds are opening slowwwwwwwly. I keep going down to the basement to
look and there is barely any difference from the day before. I'm sure
the low temperatures down there make it happen even slower. Barely up to
70 when the lights are on.
'Courage' has taken the lead with the bud about half open but the other
one is starting to open too.

Steve

J Fortuna 31-12-2004 06:49 PM

Steve,
Glad to hear that your buds are opening as well (albeit slowly), my paph
malipoense has opened its bud noticeably more in the week that we were gone,
though it's still quite a while to flowering I think. It looks right now a
bit like it would really like to take a bite out of something. :-)
Happy New Year, and may buds continue to open merrily in the new year as
well.
Joanna

salgud 17-01-2005 05:47 PM

I've been watching my paph spike for over 2 weeks now. The flower is
just starting to unfold (bear with me, I don't know all the correct
terms for the parts and the processes yet). I mentioned it in the
thread "first spike of first orchid". But I'm not finding the wait
uncomfortably agonizing. I'm loving the process. It's so exciting,
amazing, beautiful, etc. It's gotten to where if I even think about it,
I have to go look at it yet again, see in detail how it's progressed
since the last time I looked at it closely, or just look at it to
marvel in the beauty of it all. It probably helps that I'm 57, and a
lot mellower than I was even a few years ago. (Raising orchids is a far
cry from racing dirtbikes!) I'm probably also lucky that I didn't
notice it was spiking for a few weeks, so wasn't wondering what exactly
was going on. By the time I noticed it, the spike was a few inches long
(ok, so I'm not the most observant guy around). But now I'm just
enjoying it day by day!

john beasley 18-01-2005 07:05 PM

I hear you. I've been waiting for a Paph. venustum bud to develop for a
couple of months now. It is s-l-o-w-w-w going. But finally it is beginning
to get fatter and I hope I'll see a blossom in...well... I don't really
know. Luckily I have lots of other orchids to distract me.

What paph are you waiting for?

John :)

ups.com...

salgud 22-01-2005 11:57 PM

Not sure, I think it's Suellen!
Seriously, I don't know that this means, but the label in the pot says,
"MTDM. bartley schwarz 'highland' am/aos". If that means anything to
you, I'd love to know. It also says "lots of red and white flowers"
Dave

wendy7 23-01-2005 02:04 AM

Hi Dave, I have not read all the threads or your original question but
for the record, Mtdm. is the abbreviation for Miltonidium which is
a cross of Miltonia & Oncidium I believe.
So this tag should read:-
Miltonidium Bartley Schwarz 'Highland' AM/AOS
If this tag is in your Paph pot then it is the wrong tag.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

salgud 23-01-2005 05:50 PM