Old 04-10-2004, 07:15 PM
GaWd

My Colmanara Wildcat is in spike right now and I can't wait. I love it!

Sam

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
My local plant nursery has some really attractive intergeneric hybrids for
sale, including Bllra Marfitch 'Howard's Dream' and Colm Wildcat, and I am
quite tempted to buy one of them, however I would not want to buy them if

my
conditions are such that they couldn't possibly do well.

I grow on the windowsills or rather on shelves next to north-facing

windows.
I supplement this with growlamps so that I can achieve medium light right
under a lamp, but I am not sure whether I could have medium light at leaf
level for a Bllra since they are rather tall plants. So the light is low

medium, but mostly low.

The temps in our apartment are usually around 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sometimes in the summer the air-conditioning doesn't work though and then

it
can be in the upper 80s or in the low 90s for a short period of time. In

the
winters, especially at night the temp might be in the 60s.

Humidity-wise we try to keep it above 50% at all times -- easy in the
summer, harder but doable in the winter.

I successfully grow Phals, Dtps, Paphs, and a cochleanthes (though the

last
has a bud-blasting habit, it's currently blooming and has a chance at a
second successful bud at this point, so I guess it counts as a success
though the conditions are definitely not ideal for it). I have never tried
anything else yet.

Based on all this would you advise me to go ahead and try an intergeneric
Onc hybrid, or should I leave it alone? I am also considering getting a
miniature cattleya at some point and putting it right under a lamp.

Anything
else I could try in these conditions? It's really important to me that I
don't get something that does not really have a chance at flourishing

here,
but I am feeling like experimenting a bit with non-Phals.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Joanna

Old 04-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Kenni Judd

I personally don't think you can just lump all of these together -- it's a
very diverse group. Many do well for me, others don't. Some of the ones
that don't do well for me do fine for Bill, just 60 or so miles north.

You need to talk to your vendor and get specific care instructions -- and if
your vendor can't give them, then you need a different vendor.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 12-10-2004, 11:37 PM
Dave Sheehy

Dave Sheehy ) wrote:
: J Fortuna ) wrote:
: : My local plant nursery has some really attractive intergeneric hybrids for
: : sale, including Bllra Marfitch 'Howard's Dream' and Colm Wildcat, and I am
: : quite tempted to buy one of them, however I would not want to buy them if my
: : conditions are such that they couldn't possibly do well.

: : I grow on the windowsills or rather on shelves next to north-facing windows.
: : I supplement this with growlamps so that I can achieve medium light right
: : under a lamp, but I am not sure whether I could have medium light at leaf
: : level for a Bllra since they are rather tall plants. So the light is low to
: : medium, but mostly low.

: : The temps in our apartment are usually around 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
: : Sometimes in the summer the air-conditioning doesn't work though and then it
: : can be in the upper 80s or in the low 90s for a short period of time. In the
: : winters, especially at night the temp might be in the 60s.

: : Humidity-wise we try to keep it above 50% at all times -- easy in the
: : summer, harder but doable in the winter.

: Like you I have been branching out and experimenting with other orchids I
: might possibly be able to grow there as well. Last spring I bought a Burr(?
: I think that's right) 'Stephan Isler' and put it in that north window with
: the phals. It's too soon to report any success other than it is growing well.
: The new growth has done well and the pb is starting to flesh out nicely so
: I'm pretty encouraged. I won't know if it'll bloom until next spring/summer.

I have an update on my Burr. Stefan Isler that I keep in my north window along
with the Phals. I examined it the other day and found a new flower spike
growing. So, there's at least one intergeneric that can be successfully kept
along with Phals.

For those that are interested here are some details. I have a light meter and
if I hold it so as to maximize the reading I get a value of 1000 (I believe
the units are foot candles but I don't remember for sure off the top of my
head). Phals require a light intensity range between 500-1000 according some
sources and the grower that I bought the Burr Stefan Isler from told me it
requires a light intensity between 1000-1200 (so it comes in at the high end
of the phal light requirement). Humidity in my house ranges from 40-60%
year round as far as I've been able to measure. I don't go to any special
efforts to control humidity. There are 4 aquariums in the house which
contribute between 1.5-2 gallons of evaporated water per day to the
surrounding air so they are probably helping to raise humidity to some degree.

So the upshot is I think it is very possible for you to keep appropriately
selected intergenerics in your conditions.

Dave

Old 13-10-2004, 03:50 AM
J Fortuna

Dave,
Thanks for the update! I too get around 1000 foot candle readings on my
light meter under my lights in the best lit place, and my humidity is
generally above 50%. So it does indeed sound like we have very similar
conditions. I will consider getting a Burr. Stefan Isler sometime then as
well. Thanks! Though at this point I might need to wait a bit, since I
splurged and bought 4 orchids this weekend for a total of 28 orchids in my
apartment, so I think I may need to wait a bit before buying more ... at
least a few weeks or a few days, right? :-)
Joanna

Old 13-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Dave Sheehy

J Fortuna ) wrote:
: Dave,
: Thanks for the update! I too get around 1000 foot candle readings on my
: light meter under my lights in the best lit place, and my humidity is
: generally above 50%. So it does indeed sound like we have very similar
: conditions. I will consider getting a Burr. Stefan Isler sometime then as
: well. Thanks! Though at this point I might need to wait a bit, since I
: splurged and bought 4 orchids this weekend for a total of 28 orchids in my
: apartment, so I think I may need to wait a bit before buying more ... at
: least a few weeks or a few days, right? :-)

Yeah, I saw your post and I wondered if you had any space left for more. I
thought I'd pass the information along anyway. I ran out of window sill space
long ago and since have taken to hanging plants in the window in order to be
able to keep more orchids. I got a new Bulbo recently and resorted to
co-mounting it with another Bulbo.

Dave

: Joanna

: "Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
: ...
:

Old 14-10-2004, 12:22 AM
J Fortuna

Dave,
I've still got space in my current arrangement. I have a shelving unit
standing in front of one of my windows with supplemental lights attached to
the top shelf. So far I am really using only one shelf of that for the
orchids in that room, but I could fairly easily add more lights and use
another shelf or two. So space is not an issue quite yet. But I am a bit
concerned about the increasing pace of my orchid acquisitions ... if this
trend continues, I will run out of space sooner than I expected not too long
ago ... so I think I need to slow down a bit. Not long ago I was thinking
that one orchid per month on average would be a reasonable limit, or one
month buying two orchids and the following month no orchids to balance it
out, but at some point I seem to have found that self-imposed limit
impossible to maintain. Having bought 4 orchids this month, I will
definitely not be able to abstain for the next three months!

Old 15-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Ray

I'll add that Semi-Hydroponic culture also helps.

Most of my collection of plants is on the intermediate to warm side, but the
oncidium intergenerics do great in S/H - probably because of the small
amount of evaporative cooling in the pot.

..

Old 15-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Dave Sheehy

Ray ) wrote:
: I'll add that Semi-Hydroponic culture also helps.

: Most of my collection of plants is on the intermediate to warm side, but the
: oncidium intergenerics do great in S/H - probably because of the small
: amount of evaporative cooling in the pot.

Much of the culture information on this group emphasize maintaining evenly
moist conditions. I should think that they do well in S/H because that
method excels at providing exactly that kind of condition.

Dave

: --

: Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids - www.firstrays.com
: Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, and Lots of Free Info!
: .
: Dave Sheehy ) wrote:
: : J Fortuna ) wrote:
[...]

Ladybirds again.. to buy or not to buy Mentalguy2k8[_2_] United Kingdom 15 18-05-2011 07:17 PM
Bumblebees!! To buy or not to buy... That is the question! Pest Effects United Kingdom 0 15-05-2011 07:23 AM
Intergeneric Onc Hybrid: to buy or not to buy? J Fortuna Orchids 0 01-10-2004 11:32 PM
hybrid T not taking John Roses 4 17-03-2004 02:41 AM
hybrid T not taking John Roses 0 15-03-2004 03:58 AM