Old 02-10-2004, 02:41 AM
Dr Bill

Default Two Questions

If anyone knows the answers to these questions, I would appreciate the
help.

1. When an orchid gets too much direct sun, does it manifest itself as
a white area on the leaf? If not, what would cause a round white area
on a leaf?

2. I have had 2 Phals whose leaves, after blooming, have started
drooping like floppy dog ears over the side of the pot. They are
completely limp - green but limp.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr Bill
Old 02-10-2004, 02:56 AM
Claude

Hello !

1. if you didn`t expose your plant to the sun, it could be a virus or
bactéria infection. Check also for any sign of bugs ON and UNDEr the leaves
and in the medium as well. If not, it could be a sun burn but round shape
sounds more like an infection to me!

2. Looks like your Phals need more humidity.Underwatering maybe or air too
dry! Also, did you repot them lately? Check the medium and the roots!

Just my 2 cents

Claude

om...

Old 02-10-2004, 06:19 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 21:56:20 -0400, "Claude"
wrote:
"Dr Bill" wrote in message
. com...
| If anyone knows the answers to these questions, I would appreciate the
| help.
|
| 1. When an orchid gets too much direct sun, does it manifest itself as
| a white area on the leaf? If not, what would cause a round white area
| on a leaf?
|
| 2. I have had 2 Phals whose leaves, after blooming, have started
| drooping like floppy dog ears over the side of the pot. They are
| completely limp - green but limp.
|
| Any help would be appreciated.
|
| Dr Bill

Claude grows Phals and I don't have many. So maybe he is right
and I am not. But in my experience a WHITE spot if it is dry and
brittle is sunburn. It will normally be oval or round. IF it is
not dry and brittle it is probably caused by bugs. Get out the
Alcohol swab and check that plant up one side and down the other.

If the leaves go limp it is dehydrating. Lots of causes. One of
the prime ones is over watering. If it sits in water or has
gotten water ever other day... I would look for roots to be
rotted. If it has not been repotted in the last 18 months it
could just be the mix has broken down and holds too much water.

It could be too long between water days - but this is rare. Most
of us water too often, rather than forget to water often enough.
Raise the humidity in the vicinity of the plant - it will help it
retain water by slowing evaporation.

One of the questions we should have asked - IS this only one
plant with 2 problems or 2 plants with separate problems?

SuE