Old 02-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Dave Gillingham

Default It's not a silly question if you have to ask

The cattleya family is not really my thing - far more interested in
dendrobes. But I have a couple of cats given me as gifts.

Question: Dens typically bloom several seasons from the same
pseudobulb. Do cats do the same? Or is it just one flower sheath per
bulb ever?
Dave Gillingham

Old 02-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Dewitt

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:27:22 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

The cattleya family is not really my thing - far more interested in
dendrobes. But I have a couple of cats given me as gifts.

Question: Dens typically bloom several seasons from the same
pseudobulb. Do cats do the same? Or is it just one flower sheath per
bulb ever?
Dave Gillingham

Sadly, catts only bloom once per pseudobulb.

deg
Old 02-10-2004, 04:49 PM
K Barrett

wrote:

The cattleya family is not really my thing - far more interested in
dendrobes. But I have a couple of cats given me as gifts.

Question: Dens typically bloom several seasons from the same
pseudobulb. Do cats do the same? Or is it just one flower sheath per
bulb ever?
Dave Gillingham

Sadly, catts only bloom once per pseudobulb.

deg

Too bad we can't genetically alter them to perform like dendrobiums.

K Barrett

Old 02-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:49:51 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The cattleya family is not really my thing - far more interested in
dendrobes. But I have a couple of cats given me as gifts.

Question: Dens typically bloom several seasons from the same
pseudobulb. Do cats do the same? Or is it just one flower sheath per
bulb ever?
Dave Gillingham

Sadly, catts only bloom once per pseudobulb.

deg

Too bad we can't genetically alter them to perform like dendrobiums.

K Barrett

Now that you have suggested it.. somone will start working on it.
SuE

Old 02-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Kenni Judd

Actually, some will rebloom on green spikes, as do phals. I see this in B.
nodosa and many of its hybrids, also some Broughtonia and Schomburgkia
species and hybrids, including our Smbcna. Garnet Glory. But I have yet to
see any of them actually make a whole new inflorescence from a
previously-bloomed pb, like dens often will.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids
"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:49:51 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

.. .

Old 04-10-2004, 01:02 AM
Dave Gillingham

Thank you all very much for your responses. I guess that's why you
never see a large "specimen plant" from the cat family as you do with
dens. Division is presumably the way to go.

Old 04-10-2004, 04:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:02:49 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

Thank you all very much for your responses. I guess that's why you
never see a large "specimen plant" from the cat family as you do with
dens. Division is presumably the way to go.

You sometimes see 'specimen plants' but generally they are of a
type that sends out 2 -3 leads every year. You get 2-3 going and
keep the center small enough they can be very spectacular.
SuE