Old 06-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Maj S. Madsen

Default Orchids in vivarium/terrarium

Does anybody have experiences with orchids in a vivarium/terrarium?
I'm considering buying a veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) and
building my own vivarium in wood with a glass front. Since i'm a
horticulturist i would really like to have real live plants in the vivarium
and not just plastic ones.
The temperature suited for this species of chameleon is 28-30 degrees
Celsius in the day and 24-25 in the night. The humidity will be around
50-80%. The chameleon could occasionally take a small bite of the orchid but
I have found that orchids are non-toxic to animals (at least cats).
My question is then whether the orchid would be too greatly harmed by the
loss of pieces of the leaves occasionally and which orchid species would be
favourable in the environment described. I'm considering using some
Phalaenopsis spp. and Vanda spp. since the supply of more exotic orchid
species is limited in this part of the world (Sweden) and in the stores i
visit, but i would like some suggestions.

Maj