Old 13-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Betsy

Default Phal's roots are escaping

I have a Phal and it's little roots are growing out the holes on the bottom
of the plastic container. Should I bother replanting or just leave well enuf
alone. The rest do not look as if there is any problem.

Old 13-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Rob Halgren

Betsy wrote:

I have a Phal and it's little roots are growing out the holes on the bottom
of the plastic container. Should I bother replanting or just leave well enuf
alone. The rest do not look as if there is any problem.

If you haven't repotted it in the last year or so, now is a good
time. Phals will start sending up flower spikes soon (I have lots, and
my phals aren't even that happy), and it is best to not repot something
in spike. Repotting now has nothing to do with roots escaping the
bottom. That is a good sign, don't repot just because of that...

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )
Old 13-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Gene Schurg

Hey Rob,

What's the update on the Greenhouse? Are you in yet?

Gene

Old 14-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Rob Halgren

Gene Schurg wrote:

Hey Rob,

What's the update on the Greenhouse? Are you in yet?

Plants are in, but a lot of them are sitting on the floor (well,
dirt... still don't have a floor). I have the main vent hooked up to an
extension cord running from the garage, and a couple of kerosene
heaters. So far it hasn't gotten below 40 in there. I added a bigger
jet engine heater last night, trying to keep it at 55. The phals may or
may not make it (although they are all spiking like crazy...). Some
got cooked before I could get the shade cloth up. I'm going to lose a
fair number of plants (the cycnoches are all mush - too cold), but such
is life. I'll get more.

Some day soon I hope to hang the heaters, and get the propane
installed. Tried to do that last weekend, but I didn't have enough
bodies (those heaters are heavy!). Of course I'm going out of town in
two weeks, so who knows if that will happen before the snow flies. If I
could measure properly, I'd have the electric service installed already
(I've bought two too short cables so far... Still need another 15
feet). I probably won't get the water tanks in the ground this year,
and I probably won't have much of a floor either. I'll be happy to get
enough electrical circuits run to work the vents and furnaces, and get
the plants up off the floor. That is my new goal for thanksgiving...

Anybody who wants a tutorial in the art of not getting things done
in time for winter, feel free to come over to my house... *grin* On
the plus side, I have a greenhouse kitten. One just showed up the other
day while I was working. Cute tuxedo pattern, long hair, very skinny,
and very happy to see people. Trying to find it a new home, but for now
it is adding a little extra warmth to the greenhouse.