Old 17-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Dave Gillingham

Default Root growth stimulants?

This query relates to my D. carronii query. If root
disturbance/maintenance may be a serious problem, are there any
preparations that specifically promote root growth in orchids?
Similar to the concept of cutting powders to stimulate growth of roots
with garden cuttings. I'm reluctant to dive in & use such a powder on
an orchid I have only just acquired after lusting for it for so long.
Dave Gillingham
Old 17-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Kenni Judd

There is a product called Superthrive that appears to do a good job
stimulating new root growth. Be careful not to overdo it -- too much can
cause deformed new growths in the next season. This used to be readily
available in many garden centers, but lately I have had trouble finding it.

DynaGrow sells a root stimulant called K-L-N which we have also used with
apparent success [no controlled studies, just my eyeball appraisal].

Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

----

Old 17-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Ray

The synthetic root-growth hormones, indole butyric acid (IBA) and
naphthalene acetic acid (NAA) stimulate root initiation and growth. (Each
doing one more than the other, but I don't recall which is which). Vitamin
B1 is also a root-growth stimulant.

Superthrive contains B1 and NAA, K-L-N contains B1, IBA, and NAA. There are
lots of concoctions out there on the market, so if those aren't available in
Australia, there's bound to be something that's analagous.

Either can be used as a presoak or as a fertilizer additive. As a presoak,
add about a teaspoon to 4 liters of water, as an additive, about a drop.

The hormones are quite unstable in light and heat, so only mix what you're
going to use, and store the rest where it's dark and cool.

..

Old 17-10-2004, 11:39 PM
TU

Superthrive is available from Hydroshop, located in NSW. You can order on-line
http://www.hydroshop.com

Good Luck with your D. carronii.

"Ray" wrote
in message ...

.

Old 18-10-2004, 04:06 AM
Dave Gillingham

Thank you all - I'll be following up the Superthrive suggestion. I
can't find any web reference to K-L-N within Australia.