Old 05-11-2004, 09:36 AM
kenty ;-\)

Default maxillaria tenuifolia leaves dropping?

Hi Everyone! Is it normal for a max tenuifolia do drop its leaves from the
oldest psbulbs,the new psbulbs which are thin & still growing at the moment
seem to be o.k,these are obviously growing from the ones loosing there
leaves.
It is growing in bark in a small pot.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Reka

Hi, Keith,

All I can tell you is that I have old leafless bulbs, old bulbs losing their
leaves, mature bulbs past blooming, mature bulbs getting ready to bloom and
young growths on mine almost continually. Mine is in fine bark and has
graduated from a Dixie cup to an official plant pot!
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"kenty ;-)" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi Everyone! Is it normal for a max tenuifolia do drop its leaves from the
oldest psbulbs,the new psbulbs which are thin & still growing at the moment
seem to be o.k,these are obviously growing from the ones loosing there
leaves.
It is growing in bark in a small pot.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

---

Old 05-11-2004, 12:09 PM
kenty ;-\)

Hi Reka,How long do the new bulbs take to reach blooming size?As for the
leaf loss,I think it must be natural for them to do this as all my new bulbs
have leafs.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:55 PM
prem_s

kenty ;-) wrote:
Hi Reka,How long do the new bulbs take to reach blooming size?As for the
leaf loss,I think it must be natural for them to do this as all my new bulbs
have leafs.

As Reka said, it is indeed normal for the oldest growths to lose
leaves. New bulbs reach maturity within a year of when they
first started growing. If you're growing your plant in your
home, it's unlikely that ALL of the new growths will flower,
as it's tough to give them enough light for this. Plants
grown in a greenhouse under strong light (enough to make the
leaves a nice lime green) will bloom more profusely.

--
---Prem
Orchid art, photography, t-shirts, and related products:

Old 06-11-2004, 04:02 PM
K Barrett

I don't know who started this thread but I'd like to add my 2 cents worth.
Speaking for sympodial orchids, old bulbs lose leaves when they lose roots.
This isn't "normal" but is typical for most hobbyist level of growing
expertise. Its an indication of 'inchworm growth' a term coined by Bill
Thoms (the person with more awards for excellent growing ability than just
about anybody). The plant survives well enough to make up new pseudobulbs
and flower in its season, but is not receiving quite the level of conditions
it wants in terms of humidity, light, air, fresh medium, pH, water quality
etc. to support the old growth. And so the back bulb's roots die off. One
pseudobulb grows at the front, one dies off in the back, hence the analogy
to an inchworm.

Its too bad the AOS doesn't put more pictures of its cultural awards online
so people can see what a well grown plant actually looks like. Even vendors
don't necessarily grow their plants to the optimal condition since they need
to turn over their inventory. I wonder what sort of pics a Google search on
CCM or CCE would bring up? Or maybe a search on Jerry Rodder may bring up a
few pictures os some of his monster plants (all p/bulbs with leaves)
Nevertheless even rootless/leafless pseudobulbs continue to photosynthesize
and produce food for the new growth that later can flower and the cycle
continues. As you learn to grow your plants better you'll start keeping
leaves on back bulbs. Also while light is required to bloom this plant
well, if you feed it properly the leaves will be more grass green that lime
green.

K Barrett