Old 19-01-2005, 04:25 AM
Larry

Default roots: dead or alive

Hi all!

I know there was a post recently about this, but I cannot find it and I do
not think it answered my question anyway...

I was repotting several orchids this weekend and upon inspection of the
roots of several of the plants I noted there were many that I could not tell
whether they were alive or dead (rotted). I therefore was not sure if I
should have trimmed them or not. They were not white and hardy, with
greenish tips, but they were not blackened, either.

Also, some of the roots had nice tips but seemed to be pinched closer to the
plant. Will those roots live?

The real question is: How important is it to get rid of rotted roots? I'd
rather err on the conservative side and save some dead roots rather than
trim some live ones when I am not sure. But is it bad to keep the rotted
ones around?

Thanks!

Larry

Old 19-01-2005, 04:49 AM
danny

If the root is firm then it is alive. If it is mushy or papery then it is
dead. To confuse matters, sometimes the outer covering of the root near the
base of the plant will die off while the root tip is still growing, then
it's a judgment call.

One bad thing about dead roots is the dead outer covering can act as a
sponge and keep wicking water up onto the base of the plant. This is a
prime reason to get rid of all the iffy roots when you put something in a
semi-hydroponic pot.

Another bad thing about dead root is that they waste space in the pot. If
you get rid of them you'll have more clean mix instead of decaying organic
matter, and it will be a lot easier to get the mix around the remaining good
roots.

-danny

"Larry" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

[IBC] (IBC) Dead or Alive? Michael Persiano Bonsai 0 20-10-2005 10:04 PM
Alive or dead? kc Gardening 2 14-05-2005 03:42 AM
My Rosa Rugosa Albas- dead or alive? VX United Kingdom 3 24-04-2005 01:48 AM
** Queen Palms / 2 dead, 2 dying, 2 alive / Ganoderma / Fungi ?? ** [email protected] Gardening 2 17-03-2005 11:36 AM
Is this lotus dead or alive? UTVOLVET84 Ponds 5 28-05-2004 02:05 PM