Old 20-01-2005, 03:20 AM
J Fortuna

Default orchid book recommendations

I would emphatically recommend the book "The Orchid in Lore and Legend" by
Luigi Berliocchi (translated from Italian by Lenore Rosenberg and Anita
Weston). I acquired this book in the bookstore of the Orchid Express exhibit
in the Natural History Museum in Washington, DC. The orchid exhibit was fun,
and so is this book. It contains a lot of intriguing stories ranging from
orchids in Greek mythology, exploration of the Americas and use of orchids
in Catholicism there, Chinese art and orchid symbology, the use of vanilla
in Aztec culture, the stories of the orchid explorers and hunters who gave
their lives for orchids, beliefs in magical qualities of orchids, etc.. The
book is well written and highly enjoyable, in my opinion.

Before reading this book I read "Phalaenopsis: A Monograph" by Eric A.
Christenson. Also enjoyed it, though it was somewhat drier (though not
nearly as dry as might be expected from a taxonomist), and there were parts
of this book that I had to skip because the terms were too technical for me,
and I had not realized before I bought it that this book deals almost
exclusively with Phal species with hybrids mentioned only a bit. I was glad
to find out more about the different Phal species, their classification,
origin, etymology, and such though. Definitely worth reading if Phals are
your genus of choice (Claude, have you read this one yet? If not, I am sure
you would enjoy it.)

Joanna

Old 20-01-2005, 03:28 AM
Phalguy

Thanks Joanna!

I will try to get a copy !

Claude

Old 20-01-2005, 04:12 PM
GARLAND HANSON

The two that I have enjoyed are "Orchid Fever" by Eric Hansen and "The
Orchid Thief" by Susan Orlean. I got both books secondhand through Amazon.
Each was under $3.00 when I got mine! Shipping was more than the books! I
see they are both available now for around $10.00.
Garland

Old 21-01-2005, 12:15 AM
J Fortuna

Garland,
I agree about "Orchid Fever" by Eric Hansen. I read it a while ago, and it
was great! Reading about what people do for the sake of orchids, made me
feel so much more "normal" in my orchid addiction by comparison. :-)
Joanna

Old 21-01-2005, 02:08 AM
K Barrett

Just heard Eric Hansen talk about his efforts at creating an orchid business
for the local tribesmen. Very interesting stuff. If you ever get a chance
hear him talk... I'll break your heart.

K Barrett

Old 22-01-2005, 04:55 PM
K Barrett

I heard him at the Paph Guild in Morro Bay. I don't have contact info for
him but I know he reads the Orchid Guide Digest and he may contact you off
line if you ask for a list of his upcoming venues (if any). You can
supscribe to teh OGD he
http://www.orchidguide.com/findex.htm

K Barrett

"GARLAND HANSON" wrote in message
K,
Where did you hear him speak? Do you have contact information for him, by
chance?
Thanks in advance,
Garland

Old 23-01-2005, 03:00 AM
Phalguy

hello Joanna!

I just bought a copy from Amazon tonight! I can`t wait to get it!

Thanks again !

Claude

Old 23-01-2005, 07:05 AM
profpam

If it isn't too late, I would suggest listening to a lecture by Bob
Gordon or obtaining one of his books. I noticed that he will be at the
Fascination of Orchids Show in South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, California
(Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 10 AM. His topic "Phalanopsis Orchids
are easy when you know how!" and he does. Following his lecture will be
book signings). Incidentally, this is a great show.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 29-01-2005, 12:26 AM
Phalguy

Hello Joanna!

I just got my book today and I`m very impressed! Thank you for this
recommendation!

Claude

Old 29-01-2005, 03:09 AM
J Fortuna

Claude,
You are quite welcome. Glad you like it. I thought you would.
Joanna