Old 11-02-2005, 11:03 PM
mmccaws

Default growing them out of the flask

You know, having a greenhouse makes certain things easier but it
doesn't provide all the answers. I've been buying a few flasks and
starting them there, and as one poster put-it "if you've reach this
point you've gone beyond orchid killing 101, even I've
over/under-watered orchids 211." I'm at the point where I've delved in
to figure out how to get toddlers to adults.

After reading the gist of a few posts, and one of the questions I seem
to be wanting to ask other than the infamous "What am I doing wrong",
is when raising out of the flask does it seem to be very import to keep
the minimum temperature above, say, 68 degrees, light could be more in
red range but not that important, and ideally 65% humidity, some air
flow.

I think I've had less than stellar results by not directly creating a
warmer environment just for the small plants. The temp can drop to 58
occasionally.

When do you ween the plants from that constant moister environments
that the adults don't require.

Oh is there a high output broad spectrum flourescent light yet?

Old 12-02-2005, 12:49 AM
auntymo

get yourself a seedling mat/waterproof heating pad. that would keep the
babies a bit warmer.

the thing i've most often heard is to expose them to the ambient humidity
until they wilt a bit, then put them back in their extra humid place again.
lather rinse and repeat. each time it should be a little longer before you
have to put them back, and eventually they should be able to take the usual
humidity you have.

of course i am in no way an expert, just thought i'd share some tips i've
heard from others.

--mo--

Old 12-02-2005, 01:34 AM
Phalguy

Hello!

I`ve been following those instructions with succes:

http://www.bedfordorchids.com/flasks...%20Demystified

Go down to deflasking demystified!

Good luck!

Claude

Old 12-02-2005, 03:00 AM
auntymo

thanks claude!
i couldn't remember where i read that, but it certainly seems to be sound
advice!

--mo--

Old 20-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Reka

Lady Blacksword wrote:
Could use the heating mats you can get for reptiles too, if you can't get
seeling mats.
Murri

A friend of mine with very cold windowsills winds what I call "Christmas
lights in a hose" (rope lights?) around under her plants to keep their
feet warm.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Flask for orchid tissue culture profpam Orchids 1 20-07-2003 11:08 PM
Question for those who flask seeds dusty Orchids 5 14-07-2003 01:32 PM
New paph seedlings out of flask Jonathan Phua Orchids 6 01-07-2003 09:32 AM
Flask Phal Hybrids PeterPPL Orchids 0 28-04-2003 11:56 AM
Please help: making flask and medium Thomas Wong Orchids 3 21-03-2003 04:32 PM