Old 17-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Registered User

Default Vanda on basket

I have a Vanda, wich is a hybrid I bought at a plants shop, intended for room placement. The roots are on the air, sice the plant is only suspended on a basket. My question is, how often should I spray the roots, bearing in mind that my room meets sufficient light conditions (a little morning sun), the temperature runs from 53 to 68 F, and the normal humidity from 50% to 65%?
Old 17-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Rob Halgren

caparazon wrote:
I have a Vanda, wich is a hybrid I bought at a plants shop, intended for
room placement. The roots are on the air, sice the plant is only
suspended on a basket. My question is, how often should I spray the
roots, bearing in mind that my room meets sufficient light conditions
(a little morning sun), the temperature runs from 53 to 68 F, and the
normal humidity from 50% to 65%?

As often as you can, probably. You can't really over water a plant
which doesn't have any potting medium. When you do water, make sure the
roots turn an even shade of green - that indicates that they are holding
as much water as they can. And don't forget to fertilize. Vandas are
pretty heavy feeders.

In the summer you may need to water twice a day depending on how hot it
is and how much light you are getting. In the winter, maybe every
other day is good. 53 is probably on the low side for a Vanda, try to
find the warmest spot in the room. I wouldn't want to get much below 60
for most Vandas.

Rob

2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )

Old 18-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Bob Walsh

I suspect that I may draw some comments from the fairer sex with this
suggestion, but I find that if I'm misting with RO water there is no residue
on the surfaces I'm misting. I therefore don't worry much if some mist lands
on a wall, carpet, glass or Formica type surface. You don't want it on a
dirty surface (could make mud etc.) or on a surface that shouldn't get wet
i.e. wood floors. If you have fertilizer in the water it probably has dyes
in it so forget the forgoing when feeding your plants. Too much water could
cause a mold problem if on carpets so some moderation should be kept in mind
as well as a tray under the roots to catch drips.

Bob

Old 18-02-2005, 06:49 AM
Reka

caparazon wrote:
I have a Vanda, wich is a hybrid I bought at a plants shop, intended for
room placement. The roots are on the air, sice the plant is only
suspended on a basket. My question is, how often should I spray the
roots, bearing in mind that my room meets sufficient light conditions
(a little morning sun), the temperature runs from 53 to 68 F, and the
normal humidity from 50% to 65%?

One of the growers at our show has had good results putting his Vandas
in wide-mouthed glass vases for living-room display. The vase is filled
with water up to the base of the roots, the Vanda is allowed to soak for
15-30 minutes, then all the water is poured out. The glass keeps the
humidity around the roots higher without sacrificing too much air
circulation or light to the roots. He says you can go two-three days
without extra water using this method, though I would keep it closer to
two, I think. I am going to try it on my new Vanda if I can find a vase
I like at a price I like. It takes a pretty wide mouth to fit all those
roots into!
I am confident it will reduce the danger of breaking off roots while
inserting and removing them from the soaking water.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 19-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Kenni Judd

I agree with Rob that your temps are a bit on the cool side, but probably
not dangerously so if the 53F is rare or doesn't last for hours on end. But
"a little morning sun" won't produce good blooming on very many of the
vandaceous plants that we grow ... it's just not enough.

Soak thoroughly, until roots turn green [whether you spray or use the bucket
method] no less than every other day.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids