Old 17-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Sarah

Default Are halogen lights OK?

Hi again, everyone!

Does anyone grow under halogen lights? What are the pros and cons? I grow
indoors and I'm looking into supplemental lighting. So far, halogen
fixtures look like my best option.

Thanks!

Sarah

Old 18-02-2005, 12:44 AM
danny

Halogen lights use a lot more electricity and put off a lot more heat than
fluorescent, Metal Halide, or High Pressure Sodium lighting. If you need
something that will look nice in your living room then halogen might work,
but it is not the best option for plant lighting.
-danny

Old 21-02-2005, 04:02 PM
jadel

Ray wrote:
Murri,

I would think that you MUST have another source of light, as at a

distance
of six feet, a fluorescent bulb is of almost no value whatsoever.

Remember,
it's an inverse-square thing - twice the distance, one-fourth the

intensity,
three times the distance, one-ninth, et cetera.

The inverse square law applies to point sources. From diffuse sources
such as fluorescents, the fall-off in intensity is more accurately
expressed as the inverse of the distance.

(Think of a fluorescent as being a large number of overlapping point
sources)

Nonetheless, the fall-off is substantial. Six feet is a long way.

J. Del Col

Old 23-02-2005, 02:31 AM
Sarah

Thanks, everyone! I'll keep shoppping.

Sarah

"Sarah" wrote in message
Hi again, everyone!

Does anyone grow under halogen lights? What are the pros and cons? I

grow
indoors and I'm looking into supplemental lighting. So far, halogen
fixtures look like my best option.

Thanks!

Sarah

75w Halogen Bulbs [email protected] Gardening 0 21-05-2009 04:54 AM
Are halogen lights OK? Sarah Orchids 0 17-02-2005 07:35 PM
Halogen Lights RM Orchids 4 26-06-2004 06:04 PM
Halogen Lamps for growing indoor plants... Peter Gardening 2 22-10-2003 09:02 PM
Bananna plant + Halogen Light Jason Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:08 AM