Old 18-02-2005, 02:39 AM
Larry

Default Vanilla plant

Hi all!

I have a fantastically growing vanilla (I assume Vanilla planifolia but I
cannot be sure) that started out as a small, 12 inch piece and is now well
over 30 feet total length, including many branches off branches, etc. It has
numerous aerial roots coming off the nodes opposite leaves as expected.

The plant was purchased an at orchid show here in Jacksonville, FL probably
~3 yr ago. It is in a pot (presently indoors until it stays warm outside at
night), in african violet potting soil mixed with some perlite (this is what
the grower told me to use when I bought it. I do not know if it is optimal,
and I did not know any better at the time; plus, it has grown so well I did
not want to change it, i.e., I did not want to fix anything that was not
broken).

I was wondering if there is something I can do to get it to flower. At
http://clanorchids.com/culture/vanilla.html I read that the vines
"...should be tip pruned to induce flowering". Any suggestions on exactly
how to do this properly?

Any other comments or suggestions?

TIA.

Larry

Vanilla plant Larry Orchids 9 20-02-2005 05:59 AM
algae for vanilla PondWoman Ponds 5 14-07-2003 04:49 PM
Ping Benign Vanilla - OT - ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 06-06-2003 06:44 AM
Ping Benign Vanilla Nedra Ponds 3 02-06-2003 04:20 PM
Seeking Vanilla aphylla information Al Orchids 6 18-04-2003 07:08 PM