Old 13-04-2005, 12:58 AM
tbell

Default Help With Oncids

I have several oncids in my small GH, where the temps range from 50š Winter
nights to 90š Summer days, the humidity is set at 70%, and they are fed 100
PPM MSU every week to 2 weeks, depending on the season. Most have been
re-potted within the past year.
They're not doing too badly, and a few have bloomed, but most have yellowing
outer leaves and even PBs. That makes them look unhealthy, though they have
bright green new growth.
Is this just something to put up with, or should I do make some changes?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP5700, D70

Old 13-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:58:13 -0700, tbell
wrote:

I have several oncids in my small GH, where the temps range from 50? Winter
nights to 90? Summer days, the humidity is set at 70%, and they are fed 100
PPM MSU every week to 2 weeks, depending on the season. Most have been
re-potted within the past year.

They're not doing too badly, and a few have bloomed, but most have yellowing
outer leaves and even PBs.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP5700, D70

Tom, is the yellowing section of the plant still supported by
roots? Are these back bulbs? It sounds like a touch too much
light for the food/water mix. You can push the light and get
quite yellow/green leaves on lots of things. Also if this is the
first season in these conditions could they still be adjusting to
your place?

I sold Brassia's at one society meeting. I was doing well until
the under lights girls set up next to me selling Brassia
seedlings. Theirs were quite a rich green, mine were lime green
and the difference gave the effect that mine were sick. Actually
they were bigger and more robust.
SuE
Old 14-04-2005, 05:53 AM
tbell

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:10:29 -0700, Susan Erickson wrote
(in article ):

Tom, is the yellowing section of the plant still supported by
roots? Are these back bulbs? It sounds like a touch too much
light for the food/water mix. You can push the light and get
quite yellow/green leaves on lots of things. Also if this is the
first season in these conditions could they still be adjusting to
your place?
I sold Brassia's at one society meeting. I was doing well until
the under lights girls set up next to me selling Brassia
seedlings. Theirs were quite a rich green, mine were lime green
and the difference gave the effect that mine were sick. Actually
they were bigger and more robust.
SuE

Thanks for the response, Sue. I have a Brassidium, a Brassada
and a Belleara which are doing quite well, and probably darker green than
they should be, but two Miltassias and a Gower Ramsey which are yellowing.
The oldest back bulbs are affected, and the outermost leaves, though the new
growths coming up betwen the outer leaves and the PBs are quite green. I have
all of the yellowing ones in a relatively shady part of the GH.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP5700, D70

Old 14-04-2005, 06:17 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:53:58 -0700, tbell
wrote:

[...]

Then all I can say is Good Luck. I am fresh out of ideas. I
grow everything pretty hard and light green. So here they shape
up or ship out. I had one Bulbo I thought was going to ship out,
the leaves kept getting rust colored spots, turns out it does not
want much light at all. It now hangs from one of the Ascda
baskets completely in the shade of the basket and has 3 buds. If
only they would all open and during a meeting/judging week. No
such luck.
SuE
Old 14-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Ray

I've jumped in- and out of this thread, so excuse the potential repetition,
but have you checked the pH of your water and nutrient solutions? Also, are
you a regular user of disinfectants?

news

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM