Old 15-04-2005, 02:23 AM
Mick Fournier

Default Who sells the redwood wool Roy is talking about?

http://www.northcoastjournal.com/041405/cover0414.html

Old 15-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Reka

Mick Fournier wrote:
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/041405/cover0414.html

It's also called "Palco wool", so try contacting Palco:
http://www.palco.com/

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html
Old 15-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Reka

Reka wrote:
Mick Fournier wrote:

http://www.northcoastjournal.com/041405/cover0414.html

It's also called "Palco wool", so try contacting Palco:
http://www.palco.com/

Also known as "gorilla hair" and used as mulch. Try your local garden
center!

Old 15-04-2005, 04:38 PM
K Barrett

"Reka" wrote in message
Reka wrote:
Mick Fournier wrote:

http://www.northcoastjournal.com/041405/cover0414.html

It's also called "Palco wool", so try contacting Palco:
http://www.palco.com/

Also known as "gorilla hair" and used as mulch. Try your local garden
center!

--
Reka

That's what I was going to add. Its commonly used here in Calif. as weed
block in layers 3-4 inches thick in garden beds, and therefore is rather
cheap when bought in bulk.

Mick,
I have 2-3 chinese cymbidiums in the stuff, a mini cattleya (a yellow Hazel
Boyd) and 2 miltoniopsis. Fordyce was trying some other of his catts in it,
but hasn't madeup his mind about it. I think I had a few oddball species in
it. It is acidic. Very acidic. Its the only thing that has kept the new
growths of the Hazel Boyd from damping off. Whether that because it drains
so fast or what I don't know...but there you are. The miltonias hate it.
The chinese cyms haven't really responded well to it either. The Disa
growers use it in their mix, they put it on a blender to make a fine grind
of the stuff and then add perlite and charcoal (?) (don't quote me on the
last..if you are interested I'll look up their recipe for you) but they use
it because (being redwood) it doesn't break down fast in Disa's wet
conditions.

So IMHO there are better mediums out there, but YMMV. Try it on a few
plants and see how it works for you.

K Barrett

Old 15-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Mick Fournier

Kathy,

I will look around and see if I can find some to experiment with. I like
trying different mixes from far away places to see if they are worth a
second look. It's funny how orchids can be so picky.

Mick

Old 16-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Reka

Mick,

You're welcome.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:00 AM
Sheepkeeper

Been away for a whil, and breaking into the middle of this thread. Is this
stuff good for orchids/ Here (santa Cruz) we use it for mulch.
"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
. ..
Kathy,

I will look around and see if I can find some to experiment with. I like
trying different mixes from far away places to see if they are worth a
second look. It's funny how orchids can be so picky.

Mick

Money for old... wool Ivanna Humpalot United Kingdom 3 14-06-2004 12:10 AM
NASA sells Martian roses Lester T. Linpord Roses 0 09-02-2004 09:05 AM
New wool Phred sci.agriculture 0 04-09-2003 03:12 PM
Wal-Mart sells guns to felons [was: How to lose customers - vent] Cereoid+10+ Gardening 0 06-04-2003 01:44 PM
Greenwood Nursery now sells Quick Shade trees! Earl Buchan Gardening 0 01-04-2003 09:08 PM