Old 17-04-2005, 02:36 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Word Challenge

In judging the flower's texture and substance have to be
described. The challenge is to describe average or normal.
These words are not encouraged. My normal may not be yours.

So I want some help.
Textu
transparent, sheer, diamond dust, velvet, matt, waxy, crisp,
hirsute...

Substance:
paper thin, sheer, waxy, heavy (what is heavy?), brittle, crisp,

I am looking for how you would describe the new Phal's, your
favorite floofy catt, one of the Bulbos. Anything you can think
of. All your metal exercises help us write better descriptions
when plants are awarded.
SuE
Old 17-04-2005, 05:16 AM
Mick Fournier

Judge Sue,

The Cattleya lueddemanniana coerulea flower was velour soft, full of warmth
and more than inviting to the touch, overall pendulous yet centrally perky,
glittering in the nascent moonlight... and hypnotizingly fragrant as a new
BMW 645 interior on the new morn.

Judge Mick

Old 17-04-2005, 05:20 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:16:30 -0400, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

Judge Sue,

I only hope to make this come true.

... and hypnotizingly fragrant as a new

BMW 645 interior on the new morn.

Judge Mick

Yes, Mick I can see it. The Gleam in your eye is unmistakable.
SuE

Old 17-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Al

How about diaphanous or pellucid instead of either. :-) Think Diaphananthe
pellucida. See picture on abpo.

Old 17-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Ray

And for the phals with the deep purple, rough surfaces - "warty, reminiscent
of a melanoma or a very aggravated eczema."

Old 17-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Mick Fournier

The nubile supple white flower was pure Jessica Alba-ish

Old 17-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:29:19 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

A reminiscent
of a melanoma or a very aggravated eczema."

This is the way I feel when I see some of them -- but I don't
think we can use the words in an AQ description.

SuE
Old 17-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Susan Erickson

"K Barrett" wrote in message
'Translucent' instead of 'transparent'....

K barrett

I like translucent as well as transparent. 'Tissue paper thin'
was suggested by one judge.

Diaphanous is very good. but I would be afraid of pellucid... no
matter what it translates into.
SuE
Old 18-04-2005, 12:29 AM
wendy7