Old 18-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Accordon Leaves

Tony -

I think they are a symptom of poor roots. The roots can not
absorb the water needed by the plant to expand the tissue that
has developed for the leaf structure.

Check your roots and you potting mix. Sometimes for seemingly no
reason the leaves will not flatten. They will remain folded
(accordion) and the roots are good.

SuE
Old 18-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Ray

I have heard that theory and the one about the RH being too low, resulting
in the "sticking" of plant tissues as the cells below grow.

Old 18-04-2005, 12:00 PM
GARLAND HANSON

My vote is for the humidity deficiency also. I'm growing several
oncidium/mtssa/etc indoors, under lights, in front of a window, inside a 6"
tray, over rocks and water and I have accordion leaves on most of them! I
can't wait to move them outside this summer!!!

Garland

Old 18-04-2005, 03:59 PM
jadel

Susan Erickson wrote:
Tony -

I think they are a symptom of poor roots. The roots can not
absorb the water needed by the plant to expand the tissue that
has developed for the leaf structure.

Check your roots and you potting mix. Sometimes for seemingly no
reason the leaves will not flatten. They will remain folded
(accordion) and the roots are good.

I've had a few plants do this. Low humidity was the cause. They had
healthy roots and were putting out new growths, but low RH led to the
accordion effect. I have since used a humidifier. No more accordions.

The pleats are permanent.

J. Del Col

Old 18-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Susan Erickson

On 18 Apr 2005 07:59:05 -0700, "jadel"
wrote:
The pleats are indeed permanent.

I am enjoying everyone's humidity cause.
I am like Wendy - plenty of humidity (75-80% most of the time)
but I have had it happen. So humidity maybe a large cause but it
is not the only one.
SuE

Old 18-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Ray

Agreed! It's probably a combination. Factual or not, I can "see" a
scenario in which the low RH increases the resistance, while lack of osmotic
pressure within the plant does not give it sufficient force to overcome it.