Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Keefer Milton

Default New to orchids...

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to orchids and have a few questions

I currently have two (maybe three, but i'll get into that in a moment)
phalaenopsis. The first I acquired has been in bloom for about 3-4 months
and is finally starting to drop it's blooms. I've read that I can encourage
it to rebloom, if the plant is healthy enough, by trimming the main stem
below where the first bud developed. My question is how far down on the
spike to I cut and does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on repotting
as i'm told the best time to repot is after the buds have dropped?

Additionally, I bought another orchid (these things are addictive) from
Sam's Club a few weeks ago. It seemed to be in very good condition with
medium green leaves, large sized blooms, and virtually no marks on it. There
are what I thought to be two large spikes growing out of the moss with the
second of the two spikes' buds not yet open. A few days ago the first of
those buds opened to reveal lips of a different color than on the other
spike in the same pot. My question here is: Have I gotten to phals in one
pot? If so, should I risk repotting during a blooming stage or should I
leave them alone? If I should leave them alone, should I water or fertilize
any differently?

Thanks so much in advance.

Keefer Milton