Old 10-05-2005, 10:31 PM
JE Timothy

Default Badly sunburned phals

For reasons I won't go into, I have 3-4 phals, from very large to 6-8"
across in size, which have large, bleached areas on their leaves due to
being in direct sunlight for too long. The bleached plants look just
awful - the scalding occurred about 3 days ago.

Am I going to lose these plants? What can I do to salvage them from this
unfortunate experience? I feel absolutely horrible that this occurred --
although I was not responsible for this incident, the damage is done. Any
hope? Thanks in advance for any advice\help.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Mick Fournier

JE,

Give them a big kiss goodbye tonight before you go to sleep.

Mick

Old 10-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Diana Kulaga

JE,

As long as you have some green left you should be okay. The plants will take
some time to rejuvenate, but unless they are totally fried you can probably
expect new leaf growth.

Diana

Old 11-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Xi Wang

Yeah, depends on just how big the burn was. If it was the entire plant,
well you may get a keiki from the side or something if the roots are
intact. If not, your plant will probably still recover. Just give it time.

Cheers,
Xi
Old 11-05-2005, 10:51 AM

I did that once too. I brought my big catleya outside into a shady
area...Shady area turned out to be in full sun few hrs later. I forgot
to bring it inside. Next day half the leaves had nasty brown burn
marks. Apart from having few ugly leaves it's doing fine now.

Marty
www.OrchidBoard.com (sign up - membership is free, no spam and no
gimmicks, just orchid info)

Old 11-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Maggie_in_au

I did that once too. I brought my big catleya outside into a shady
area...Shady area turned out to be in full sun few hrs later. I forgot
to bring it inside. Next day half the leaves had nasty brown burn
marks. Apart from having few ugly leaves it's doing fine now.

Marty
www.OrchidBoard.com (sign up - membership is free, no spam and no
gimmicks, just orchid info)

I recently purchaced a few orchids, lucky I decided to think about the
one that $150 .. left them in the car .. not thinking, for a few hours
and came back to three black orchids, no leaves left .. one however have
two tiny little bumps just starting to develop .. I'm hoping

Concerned..Badly sunburned Rhody struggling maestro Gardening 7 27-08-2005 01:59 AM
bansai help badly Got2Drink Bonsai 0 11-07-2003 01:24 AM
sunburned plants Theo Gardening 1 01-05-2003 12:32 AM
Tomatoes and badly placed greenhouse Neil Jones United Kingdom 1 21-04-2003 08:21 PM
Badly weeded area Bobby United Kingdom 5 21-04-2003 01:33 PM