Old 14-05-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Slipper orchid

I saw a slipper orchid the other day and now want to buy it. I have
phals. but that's it. Any advice on how to care for it when I get it?
Thanks......Burr

Old 14-05-2005, 04:17 AM
J Fortuna

Burr,

Is it a Paph or a Phrag that you are wanting?

If it is a Paph, treat it exactly like you treat your Phals and it'll be
happy. Same light level, same watering rules, same temp, same everything. My
understanding is that Paphs with mottled leaves are easier than ones without
markings on the leaves, or at least the mottled leaved ones need less light,
plus the mottled leaves are really neat. I used to be a Phal only person,
and first got tempted into buying a Paph in January 2004. There was
absolutely no learning curve from Phal experience, and my first Paph is now
in bloom for the 3rd time already.

Phrags are different enough that I will have to adjust a bit now that I have
one. If it's a Phrag that you saw and want, someone else better tell you
what to do, since I am new to them myself. :-)

Joanna

Old 14-05-2005, 06:54 AM

Thanks Joanna, this orchid looked like a pitcher plant and yes the
leaves were striated or not just plain green. The flower was purple and
the spike going up to it was fuzzy. Thanks for responding.......Burr

Old 14-05-2005, 02:21 PM
J Fortuna

Burr,

If the leaves were variegated, then it was definitely a Paph, and thus
should require environment and culture just like a Phal.
Here is a very useful link to an article on buying and growing one's first
Paph (http://ladyslipper.com/1stpaph.htm), it mentions a few of the
different types of paphs.

And you could use either this page with links to photos
http://ladyslipper.com/ppfiles.htm or this
http://www.orchidspecies.com/indexp-pf.htm (look for Paphiopedilum further
down the page) to look at the different paph species photos. If the paph you
saw was a hybrid and not a species, you won't see it, but this might give
you something to start with.

Best,
Joanna

Old 14-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Paphraguy

wrote in message
I saw a slipper orchid the other day and now want to buy it. I have
phals. but that's it. Any advice on how to care for it when I get it?
Thanks......Burr

To learn more about the slipper orchids, please visit my Slipper Orchid
Forum also. Here is the link: http://www.rainbowcomputers.net/forum

Hope to see you there also! Take care...

Pete

Old 15-05-2005, 05:48 AM

Thanks Joanna-the picture of three orchids had one called a
venicolor, that looks just like the one I saw and see if it's still
there..good reading.....Burr

Old 15-05-2005, 05:53 AM

Sounds like if I get this pagh. it'll be alot like my Phals. which are
doing great.....thanks....Burr

Old 15-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Paphraguy

wrote in message
Sounds like if I get this pagh. it'll be alot like my Phals. which are
doing great.....thanks....Burr

Not necessarily! It all depends on what kind of Paphs you get. Different
Paphs need different requirements.

Pete
Visit THE SLIPPER ORCHID FORUM

Old 17-05-2005, 05:14 AM

I did go back and purchase this orchid ($12 at Wal Mart) and
compared to a Phal. it has very blotchy looking leaves. I know, I know
everybody gonna say, "Wal Mart! don't buy there!"" But I'm not rich,
have a terrible case of orchid fever compounded with saving the sick
ones for a cheap price. (once 4 for $5 a piece.) This latest one was no
exception. Cinderalla had lost her shoe (flower was gone) and virtually
no roots. But I'm happy, it's a slipper! ......Burr