Old 19-05-2005, 11:09 PM
boothbay

Default new Phalaenopsis

I just bought yesterday a beautiful orchid from Lowes. It came in a 4.5
pot. with 3 opened flowers and 4 buds. I have it in my kitchen which
gets humidity ( from cooking ) and bright light. I noticed today that
the 3 flowers seem to be drooping. I touch the top of the pot and it
seemed dry, so i watered it. as far as fertilizer, I have no idea when
it was done. Is this typical of an orchid acting this way in new
evironement? Should I fertilize it and with what reading? I have 15-3-15
and 20-20-20
Old 20-05-2005, 05:40 AM

Hi, what window do you have it in? Facing what direction? How bout
temperature fluctuations in your kitchen like when you cook. I keep
mine in an east window with a fan going and they're doing great. Tell
us how your taking care of your plant and we'll do the rest .....newbie
here also......do a google search on Phal. care and good luck....Burr

Old 20-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Diana Kulaga

If I am reading you correctly, the flower spike is not supported properly.
Put a wood or metal stake (fresh or sterilized, not directly from another
plant) into the pot near the spike and tie the spike (gently) to the stake
with twist ties or other material such as floral tape.

The plant may simply be sulking due to the new environment.

Diana

Old 22-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Kenni Judd

Or, the plant may be sulking due to the former environment at Lowe's ...
There are some very general care instructions on our website that might help
you. If they don't answer all your questions, ask again, either here or
directly. Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids