Old 23-05-2005, 12:51 AM
orchidnewbie

Default One more question...

Thank you all so much for help with my "tiny white bugs" post. I feel so
much better and I did check the drainage holes at the bottom of the pot
and found that the one root that I can see is hollow...so it does appear
that I will have to repot after this current blooming cycle. My next
question is...the two leaves that I have are a bit limp, unlike other
orchids I have seen where the leaves are hearty and firm. Should I worry
or will the leaves "plump up" after I repot and trim the old roots that
are obviously there. I have not taken examined the roots by unpotting the
orchid since it is blooming. Thank you all so much again.

Old 23-05-2005, 01:49 AM

Hi, I figure I'll post something, then everybody else will follow suit.
I had an orchid that was the same way-wrinkly and distressed looking. It
started to send up a spike but all the while looked sick. I posted
that it looked like it was branching out and was really going to be
something. That's when I read it. Someone in here responded by saying
my poor sick orchid was trying to bloom and then die, as a last ditch
effort to reproduce or pollinate or whatever. I quickly snipped the
spike and the spike stump dried up. With another orchid (I like to
rescue the stragglers) I snipped off the spike and put it in water (I
don't know what this orchid looks like when it blooms) Now my orchids
can regain their health. When you do repot your orchid you might find
it has virtually no roots at all. I water mine when their almost
completely dry and get rid of the water in the drip tray.....Orchids are
resilient.....Burr