Old 01-06-2005, 04:27 AM
Eric

Default Phal question

Hi all,
Finally split the desert of Phoenix and took a vow of poverty in San Diego.
Yahoo! I can grow outside now..ain't life grand...
Anyway, my nice neighbor gave me a phal that is planted in a mix of coir and
sphagnum moss. It just finished blooming, and is healthy enough...but I note
that two of the leaves are a bit 'water logged' in appearance. Might it be
sun burn or root related? A few mushy roots, but most are plump and green.
I've never seen an orchid planted in a plastic bag before....definitely time
to re-pot. Ideas? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-06-2005, 04:41 AM

Hi Eric:

Use an east window along with lights on cloudy days-the phal.
might of been in a plastic bag as to maybe not give up a pot? Here's
some websites (cut those dead roots off, use rainwater and dump that
overflo tray.)

www.Robert-bedard.com/orchids/phal_culture
www.imagine123.com/orchidtips
good luck.....Burr

Old 01-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 31 May 2005 22:41:21 -0500, wrote:

Hi Eric:

Use an east window along with lights on cloudy days-the phal.
might of been in a plastic bag as to maybe not give up a pot? Here's
some websites (cut those dead roots off, use rainwater and dump that
overflo tray.)

www.Robert-bedard.com/orchids/phal_culture
www.imagine123.com/orchidtips
good luck.....Burr

Do cut out the bad roots and use cinnamon on the fresh cuts but
not all over the area. Too much cinnamon can dry out fresh
healthy tissue. If most of the roots are bad or just very new,
this may have been a 'rootless wonder' when it went into the
plastic bag. And now you get to bring it out. If the entire
plant has been in plastic not just the root ball, you will need
to watch the humidity around this one until it re-acclimatizes to
natural humidity. If you have a collection and run a humidifier
- put this guy close in the air stream.

Good luck.
SuE