GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Permaculture (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/)
-   -   Organic does not mean pesticide free... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/63147-re-organic-does-not-mean-pesticide-free.html)

ta 06-06-2004 01:07 AM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

rick etter wrote:
And that means also not cruelty-free. Just what I've been saying...

"...some organic pesticides have mammalian toxicities that are far
higher than many synthetic pesticides..."
http://www.cgfi.org/materials/key_pu...oxic_Tools.pdf

Wow, I can't *believe* CFGI, which is funded by the right-wing think tank
Hudson Institute, could possibly be promoting information that supports
their big agribusiness clients like Monsanto, ConAgra, and Archer Daniels
Midland, who have everything to lose by the success of organic farming.

But to be fair, I can't answer the specific charges as I'm not an expert, so
I'm expanding the thread to get a wider range of input.

p.s.

"The Hudson Institute's IRS Form 990 for the financial year ending on
September 30, 2001 showed total income of $7,818,439, most of which came in
large grants. Other known funders include:

Ag Processing Inc
American Cyanamid
Archer Daniels Midland
Cargill
Ciba-Geigy
ConAgra Foods
DowElanco
DuPont
Exxon Mobil
HJ Heinz
Lilly Endowment
McDonalds
Monsanto
National Agricultural Chemical Association
Novartis
Proctor & Gamble
Sunkist Growers
United Agri Products"

http://tinyurl.com/2uj4k

rick etter 06-06-2004 04:07 AM

"ta" wrote in message
rick etter wrote:
And that means also not cruelty-free. Just what I've been saying...

"...some organic pesticides have mammalian toxicities that are far
higher than many synthetic pesticides..."
http://www.cgfi.org/materials/key_pu...oxic_Tools.pdf

Wow, I can't *believe* CFGI, which is funded by the right-wing think tank
Hudson Institute, could possibly be promoting information that supports
their big agribusiness clients like Monsanto, ConAgra, and Archer Daniels
Midland, who have everything to lose by the success of organic farming.

But to be fair, I can't answer the specific charges as I'm not an expert,

so
I'm expanding the thread to get a wider range of input.

====================
OK let's expand it. Here's one from Clemson. Supported by big business to
you, I'm sure...

"...Some organic pesticides are as toxic, or even more toxic, than many
synthetic chemical pesticides...."
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2756.htm

another...
"...Rotenone is more acutely toxic than many synthetic pesticides. Chronic
exposure to rotenone has been tentatively linked to Parkinson's disease in
humans. It is fairly toxic to mammals and birds. It is very toxic to
fish..."
http://www.ontarioprofessionals.com/organic.htm

I see you have nothing to add to the discussion though. Figures. Come on,
show some support for claims of organic being cruelty/pesticide free
farming.

Pete 06-06-2004 05:02 AM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

I don't know the origin of this thread or the course its taken so far, and I
have neither the desire, intellectual capacity or the need to prove to
anyone either in real life or on a newsgroup that using organic means to
provide nutrient and biological balance in my garden environment is the best
way for me.

*I've trimmed the crossposting cos for the reasons above I don't care to
argue with the inhabitants of 15 different newsgroups*

There will ALWAYS be folks who will try to prove, no matter what, that what
someone says can be disproved ....

But my take is this

I would rather use an organic solution than an inorganic one.
But that's me .......(your mileage may vary)

What are your opinions ? .... if we take at face value the statement that
some organic substances are more toxic than some synthetic ones .... would
YOU rather use the organic one than the synthetic one ? (assuming they are
being used for the same purpose)

Pete

"rick etter" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Torsten Brinch 06-06-2004 08:03 AM

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 20:01:30 -0400, "ta" wrote:

rick etter wrote:
And that means also not cruelty-free. Just what I've been saying...

"...some organic pesticides have mammalian toxicities that are far
higher than many synthetic pesticides..."
http://www.cgfi.org/materials/key_pu...oxic_Tools.pdf

Wow, I can't *believe* CFGI, which is funded by the right-wing think tank
Hudson Institute, could possibly be promoting information that supports
their big agribusiness clients like Monsanto, ConAgra, and Archer Daniels
Midland, who have everything to lose by the success of organic farming.

But to be fair, I can't answer the specific charges as I'm not an expert, so
I'm expanding the thread to get a wider range of input.

The quoted statement is rather vacuous, ta, but not controversial..
If you make two lists, one of organic approved pesticides, another
of synthetic pesticides not approved for organic farming, you will
find 'some' on either list, which have mammalian toxicities far
higher than 'many' on the other list.

Gordon Couger 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

"ta" wrote in message
rick etter wrote:
And that means also not cruelty-free. Just what I've been saying...

"...some organic pesticides have mammalian toxicities that are far
higher than many synthetic pesticides..."
http://www.cgfi.org/materials/key_pu...oxic_Tools.pdf

Wow, I can't *believe* CFGI, which is funded by the right-wing think tank
Hudson Institute, could possibly be promoting information that supports
their big agribusiness clients like Monsanto, ConAgra, and Archer Daniels
Midland, who have everything to lose by the success of organic farming.

But to be fair, I can't answer the specific charges as I'm not an expert,

so
I'm expanding the thread to get a wider range of input.

Does the messenger make the message any less correct? What Alex fails to
mention are the pest that organic pesticides won't touch. The boll weevil,
alfalfa aphid and corn root worm to name a few. In the last 100 years we
have made ever effort to make farming less invasive on the land and going
back to organic farming would not only reduce yields and increase erosion
but plunge the world into famine if it was the only way allowed as many
want.

He is overstating the use of oil and sulfur on organic crops as they are
used in conventional crops as well. He is not overstating the shortfall in
food that organic method produces or the soil erosion it causes.

The sponsors of the Hudson Institute are responsible for most of the
infrastructure in agriculture. Without them or comparable firms we would be
SOL when it came to getting seeds, chemical or machinery and finding
markets. Just look at Africa with no infrastructure where the simple
http://www.approtec.org/ can make the difference between starving and
prosperity. That is the first step to mechanization and research but they
fortunately do not have to spend the 5 generation it took my family to get
the fruits of modern agriculture they can pick many of them today off the
rack as West Africa has done with GM cotton. Farmers say
http://www.bday.co.za/bday/content/d...078-0,00.html.

With out the likes of the supporters of the Hudson Institute we would be in
only slightly better shape than the third world countries in terms of
infrastructure. Private firms are the back bone of agriculture they keep the
government run programs honest. Co ops and Government programs with out
private completion are extremely inefficient. Look at the price of wheat in
Oklahoma.
"U.S. No 1 HARD RED WINTER WHEAT: 1 to 3 cents higher. 3.44-3.70
Davis, Shattuck 3.44, Buffalo 3.45, Alva, Clinton, Weatherford 3.49,
Cherokee, Manchester, Medford, Temple 3.51, Banner, El Reno, Geary,
Kingfisher, Okeene, Watonga, Yukon 3.52, Frederick, Hobart, Lawton 3.53,
Keyes, Ponca City 3.57, Perry, Stillwater 3.58, Eldorado 3.59, Afton,
Miami 3.70, Gulf 4.34."

Frederick, Hobart, Lawton 3.53, all having prices within pennies of Ponca
City 3.57, Perry, Stillwater 3.58 While Frederick, Hobart, Lawton are 500
mile from a port and Ponca City 3.57, Perry, Stillwater are less than 100
mile from the barge port of Catoosa. and Miami is 167 from Kansas city a
terminal market. There is a very strong grain merchant in south west
Oklahoma that over comes nearly 400 miles of freight from in price of the
weak markets of the bankrupt coop system in central Oklahoma. And in the
price at Miami shows the influence of having a really solid thermal market
in a reasonable distance. Just an example of the value of a strong private
business in agriculture that runs efficiently. Anyone intersted in the
particulars of the value of private enterprise in farming communities
contact me direct. I don't feel like explaining the way that the price of
wheat is derived but it is based on the price set at Kansas City but
delivered to Houston and the freight deducted back from there. The Port of
Catoosa is a barge port that put wheat on the Arkansas River and then the
Mississippi and ships it to New Orleans. Most of the rest of the wheat in
the state is shipped via rail and truck to Ft Worth, TX and Houston Some in
the North west goes though Enid and various points in Kansas. But all the
prices are based on Gulf pikes that I am failure with. In the mid west and
further north it change on the condition of the Mississippi river and Great
Lakes depending on the route it is being shipped.

For the first time in the 128 years my family has owned some of the land we
have we see organic matter increasing in the soil using no till methods. We
have land that ranges from one of the oldest ranches in the world under
continuous uninterrupted family management to the most modern irrigated land
and preserving the land for the future is one of the top priorities.

I could see the possibilities the first time that genetic modification was
explained to me and my field is cattle and machinery. Although I have 50
years experience in raising crops, killing weeds, bugs and combating soil
erosion.

We threw out organic methods as soon as there were alternatives. My
grandfather was and engineer and nearly all the next generation had some
college education in agriculture some with masters in agronomy and my
generation all have degrees. My 95 year old father laughs at fools that
think the ways they used back when they had no better choices are of any use
today. He remembers them all to well. He chopped 90 acres of cotton for
exercise 5 years ago by him self. And we still rotate that farm in Alfalfa
hay more than most organic rotations call for becuse it is the most
profitable crop we can grow on the land but it sure wouldn't be using
organic methods. The bugs and weeds would take in short order.

Having some association rule on the correctness of farming practices that
can change at a rate of twice a year or faster is the most foolish things
in agriculture today.
-
Gordon

Gordon Couger
Stillwater, OK
www.couger.com/gcouger

Sirius631 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

In article , "Pete" writes:

[...]

There are organic and inorganic pesticides. One of them you would use if you
want to grow organically, the other - well you know the arguements of the spent
fossil fuels, the reduced biodiversity and the harmful residues in the food.

If you are unable to reach a state of self-sufficiency with the resources
available to you, then, like me you have to make a choice. Do you buy organic
as a matter of principle, ignoring the fact that it is shipped in from foreign
parts, thus costing heavily in the use of fossil fuels to ship it? Or do you
buy local? I don't think we have enough choice in Britain, even the non-organic
produce in the shops are grown abroad.

David Lloyd
So open-minded - my brains dribbled out.

ta 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

"rick etter" wrote in message thlink.net...
"ta" wrote in message
rick etter wrote:
[...]

Who claimed that organic farming was "pesticide free" or "cruelty
free"? Sounds like a big giant straw man to me.

ta 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

rick etter wrote:
And that means also not cruelty-free. Just what I've been saying...

"...some organic pesticides have mammalian toxicities that are far
higher than many synthetic pesticides..."
http://www.cgfi.org/materials/key_pu...oxic_Tools.pdf

Wow, I can't *believe* CFGI, which is funded by the right-wing think tank
Hudson Institute, could possibly be promoting information that supports
their big agribusiness clients like Monsanto, ConAgra, and Archer Daniels
Midland, who have everything to lose by the success of organic farming.

But to be fair, I can't answer the specific charges as I'm not an expert, so
I'm expanding the thread to get a wider range of input.

The quoted statement is rather vacuous, ta, but not controversial..

Of course, you're right. I wasn't referring to the claim about the
toxicity of non-synthetic pesticides per se; everyone knows that
organic farming employs non-synthetic pesticides. I was referring to
CFGI's critique of organic farming in general, as laid out in the
referenced PDF file. I was questioning the overall conclusions drawn
about organic farming. For example, they conclude that:

"Obviously, a switch to organic farming by a large number of U.S.
farmers—the
recommendation of several prominent environmental groups—would result
in a massive increase in U.S. fungicide use and significantly
increased soil contamination."

and . . .

"The prospect of significantly increased organic pesticide use raises
another question: What are the social and ecological costs of
producing the additional organic pesticides? Many organic insecticides
are extracts of plants. Pyrethrum is extracted from the flowers of
pyrethrum chrysanthemums, much of it produced in Kenya and Peru. In
1981, Levy estimated that global demand for pyrethrum flowers exceeded
25,000 tons annually, satisfied by an estimated 150 million flowers
hand-harvested daily.5 In 1995, USDA statistics indicate that Kenya
produced over 100,000 tons of dry flower petals, indicating a
significant increase in pyrethrum production since 1981. How much land
is required to meet current pyrethrum production and how much land
would be needed to increase organic pesticide production if all U.S.
farmers went organic? What are the social costs of large populations
of agricultural workers—most of them poor women and children in
developing countries—hand-picking flowers for organic pesticide
production? Is this not analogous to a sweatshop?"

and . . .

"The only category of pesticide use that would decrease under an
all-organic scenario is herbicides. But this decline in herbicide use
would be accompanied by lower crop yields and higher soil erosion."

and of course the big one . . .

"A major U.S. shift to organic agriculture would mean more pesticide
use, not less; more toxicity, not less; and higher pressures on
agricultural and other natural resources without any apparent
offsetting benefits."

This is really the heart of the argument that I am looking to explore,
not this silly straw man argument about organic farming using
pesticides. This is just rick etter beating on his drum to try to
"win" an argument that no one has even presented. I'm interested in
the overarching issue of whether organic farming is a viable,
desirable altnerative to chemical-based agriculture. My feeling is
that in order to account for some of the issues raised in the article
that organic is not enough - that organic combined with
*smaill-scale* farming is more likely a better solution. Of course
these large-scale organic operations, like the ones out in California,
have ecological problems of their own to deal with. My sense is that
organic + small = best.

Torsten Brinch 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

rick etter wrote:
[...]

It is crude propaganda (as so much is, that come out of the Averys
at Hudson Institute.) Nancy Creamer has an article on it in OFRF
Information Bulletin, summer 2001, which you may be interested in
reading.

http://www.ofrf.org/publications/news/IB10.pdf

rick etter 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

"ta" wrote in message
om...
"rick etter" wrote in message

thlink.net...
"ta" wrote in message
rick etter wrote:
[...]

=====================
Another dodge, I see. Can't refute what I say huh? Try reading the past
posts for awhile and catch up. That is Always brought up as the
alternative pesticide and cruelty free.

Pete 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

"Sirius631" wrote in message
In article , "Pete"

writes:

[...]

Hi David and thanks for the reply
I agree that you have to make choices depending on what resources are
available, although I was referring more to land management choices rather
than food purchases.

We try to produce as much as we can using what resources we have available
and though we tend to lose lots of "produce" to pests I've (so far) never
thrown in the towel and blasted everything with the really heavy stuff,
(I've used cabbage dust and pyrethrum sprays) ... so my question was really
aimed at folks who like us, get lots of bugs and beasties sharing their home
grown produce and try to control them with an organic solution ... better
land management and companion plantings, use of animals for pest and weed
control, animal manures, mulches and worms for nutrient and soil improvement
etc ...not specifically sprays or powder but using the "bigger" picture to
hopefully balance things out and avoid the use of toxins.

Good to see someone is still reading the NG David ....

*looks North and sees people in Scotland sunbathing !!!*

Pete

Gordon Couger 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
On 6 Jun 2004 09:20:43 -0700, (ta) wrote:

. ..

rick etter wrote:
[...]

Hi Torsten,

Before swallowing the yield claims of organic corn being 94% of conventional
corn I would like to see the trials. As no other studies by ether organic or
non organic papers have every pretended to claim yields that high for
nitrogen hungry crops like corn and wheat.

Even the organic papers admit 25 to 33% decrees in grain yield in most
cases.

In a publication that discusses chemotherapy for veterinary uses I would not
put much stock in the stuff published there. As a chemist you must have some
standards that publications must meet before using them as sources. Surely
you don't think that dilutions of chemicals where no molecules of the
chemical
is left in the solution that is used for treatment can have any effect.

Try not to dig so deeply in the pig sty for rebuttals.

Best regards

Gordon.

Oz 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

Gordon Couger writes

Before swallowing the yield claims of organic corn being 94% of
conventional corn I would like to see the trials.

===========posted a couple of years ago=========

With considerable difficulty I have obtained permission to post part of
the 2001 ARC results.

Cirencester Organic after grass ley.

Top: 5.54 T/Ha. (deben)
Ave: 4.61 T/Ha

Of interest
Widgeon @ 3.96 T/H
Squarehead Masters : 2.61 T/Ha (worst)

Squarehead Masters is a 19C variety. A major variety grown for decades,
possibly a century. It went flat, but straw to be sold for thatching. I
have seen this variety grown in plots (supported by canes) and it was
over 5' (1.5m) tall. It's a classic low fertility weed outcompeting
variety probably similar to landrace varieties grown for centuries.

The conventionally grown trial at Cirencester (but obviously not the
same field) yielded 8.3 T/Ha ave with the best variety yielding 9.9
T/Ha.

Comments would be as previous trial post.

NB UK arable farmers really should join ARC and get this, and a truly
vast array of other data on timings, seedrates, pesticide trials etc
etc, complete. (www.arable.co.uk)
=====Posted by torsten snipped
Below, some results from the Elm Farm Research Centre
stockless organic trial, Berkshire.

Rotation Course 1 2 3 4
A Red Clover Winter Wheat Winter Wheat Spring Oats
B Red Clover Potatoes Winter Wheat Winter Oats
C Red Clover Winter Wheat Winter Beans Winter Wheat

All first wheats which followed the fertility build achieved similar
yields
(A2 and C2), wheat following wheat (A2 to A3) yielded much lower
than wheat following potatoes (B2 to B3)

Wheat yield (t/ha at 15% moisture) means, 1988-1995

Winter Wheat
A2 A3 B3 C2 C4
Yield 4.21 2.67 4.34 3.77 4.05

[Oz: notice appalling yields]

The yield achieved by C4 indicates the grain legumes, which when
harvested do export much of the N they have fixed, still can leave
sufficient reserves to advantage the next cereal crop.
=====================
=====another ozpost
Source: Crops magazine (Reed business pub) 6 Nov 1999 P10

This article discusses a 'unique' ten year experiment comparing large-
scale organic, integrated crop management and conventional side by side.

I can't type out the whole article but the following points are made.
[NB View tables in a monopitched font]

Yield wheat T/Ha

Year 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99
Con 8.7 7 7.8 9 7 7.25 9.25
Org 5.2 5.2 5 5.8 4.9 4.5 4.85
ICM 7.8 7.9 8.3 8.3

ROTATIONS etc

Organic:
Organic approved pesticides and fertiliser.
Two year clover-grass conversion ley. Then
a) Spring wheat/winter oats/winter beans/winter or spring wheat
b) 18mth red clover
c) spring wheat.
[This isn't very clear but I *think* they mean combinable crop (winter
or spring), 18mth red clover followed by spring wheat and then
cycling:Oz]
==================

There are more, but that will do.

--
Oz

BTOPENWORLD address about to cease. DEMON address no longer in use.
Use (whitelist check on first posting)

Torsten Brinch 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 03:17:08 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:
.. .

rick etter wrote:
And that means also not cruelty-free. Just what I've been saying...

"...some organic pesticides have mammalian toxicities that are far
higher than many synthetic pesticides..."
http://www.cgfi.org/materials/key_pu...oxic_Tools.pdf

..
The quoted statement is rather vacuous, ta, but not controversial..

Of course, you're right. I wasn't referring to the claim about the
toxicity of non-synthetic pesticides per se; everyone knows that
organic farming employs non-synthetic pesticides. I was referring to
CFGI's critique of organic farming in general, as laid out in the
referenced PDF file.

It is crude propaganda (as so much is, that come out of the Averys
at Hudson Institute.) Nancy Creamer has an article on it in OFRF
Information Bulletin, summer 2001, which you may be interested in
reading.

http://www.ofrf.org/publications/news/IB10.pdf

Hi Torsten,

Before swallowing the yield claims of organic corn being 94% of conventional
corn I would like to see the trials.

Huh? But, I am not referring to that article in the bulletin. We are
taking about Avery's plump piece 'Nature's Toxic Tools', Gordon.
And Nancy Creamer's scathing critique of said. Is that hard for you
to read. (Perhaps if you took off your welding glasses .... :-)

(But, if you SO much like to see those trials mentioned in some other
article you've stumbled over, tell me, what have you actually -done-
to get to see them? Nothing .... right?)

..

In a publication that discusses chemotherapy for veterinary uses I would not
put much stock in the stuff published there. ..

Suggesting guilt by association? How fallacious of you :-) Well,
that's yet another article in the bulletin which I did not refer to.

Tell me, are you trying to talk with me about -anything- but the
Creamer article, which is so straightforwardly relevant here in
the context, and which I -did- refer to?

Janet Baraclough 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

The message
from "Pete" contains these words:

Good to see someone is still reading the NG David ....

*looks North and sees people in Scotland sunbathing !!!*

Is there no privacy?

Janet.

Gordon Couger 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

"Oz" wrote in message
Gordon Couger writes

[...]

Do the conventional plots rotate the same as organic plots, are they in
continues wheat or some other rotation. The largest loss in organic
agriculture is the years that the land is in low production rotations that
produce low value or no value crops.

Gordon

Oz 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

Gordon Couger writes

Do the conventional plots rotate the same as organic plots, are they in
continues wheat or some other rotation.

Both are first wheats after break. The organic rotations have far more
breaks than the arable ones.

The largest loss in organic
agriculture is the years that the land is in low production rotations
that produce low value or no value crops.

Of course. Some of these are complete losses being, in effect, cover
crops. Red clover is a typical one, with herbiage all ploughed under, in
all-arable organic rotations.

Gordon Couger 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

"Oz" wrote in message
Gordon Couger writes

Do the conventional plots rotate the same as organic plots, are they in
continues wheat or some other rotation.

Both are first wheats after break. The organic rotations have far more
breaks than the arable ones.

The largest loss in organic
agriculture is the years that the land is in low production rotations
that produce low value or no value crops.

Of course. Some of these are complete losses being, in effect, cover
crops. Red clover is a typical one, with herbiage all ploughed under, in
all-arable organic rotations.

Then for a true picture the total yield in some unit, dollar or pounds
sterling per acre in total yield of wheat, feed, fiber meat and what ever
should be totaled up and divided by the number of years in the study giving
true value of the output of an organic farming operation per unit area
compared to a conventional or modern farm. Showing how much far they are
really behind modern methods. With total production nearer 25% or less that
of a modern farm ran in an intensive operation.

Gordon

Borstal Boy 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 02:47:37 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:

"Oz" wrote in message
Gordon Couger writes

[...]

You seem to bed missing the point. We no more want intensive organic
farms, then we want intensive factory farms. Intensive farming simply
does not work, it's destroying the planet and that's why we have a
huge cry for "back to basics" farming.

As for organic not being pesticide free, so what. The whole idea is to
allow nature to do what it does best, looking after us.

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.217% richest people in the world.
There are 5,986,950,449 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 13,049,551
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.

Need a fake diploma for fun? contact my collegues Malcolm Ogilvie
or Michael Saunby who both bought one and got one free, only $15 each,
have as many as you like www.fakediplomas.com

Oz 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

Gordon Couger writes

Then for a true picture the total yield in some unit, dollar or pounds
sterling per acre in total yield of wheat, feed, fiber meat and what
ever should be totaled up and divided by the number of years in the
study giving true value of the output of an organic farming operation
per unit area compared to a conventional or modern farm.

Yes, but if they do that then the results are truly, truly, dreadful.

Showing how
much far they are really behind modern methods. With total production
nearer 25% or less that of a modern farm ran in an intensive operation.

Probably, to be fair, between 30 and 50%.

The big problem is that they really need 50%+ livestock and a very high
cereal price. Unfortunately that proportion would produce an unsaleable
glut of meat, that would destroy the economics.

Its not for nothing that brits ate large amounts of beef pre war.
It was cheap .....

Pete 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Pete" contains these words:

Good to see someone is still reading the NG David ....

*looks North and sees people in Scotland sunbathing !!!*

Is there no privacy?

Janet.

Aha!!!! so ... twas you I could see all pink and blistering while us
southerners freeze to death.

As for privacy ..... erm ....letmethinkaboutitNO.

:-)

Torsten Brinch 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

wrote:

Then for a true picture the total yield in some unit, dollar or pounds
sterling per acre in total yield of wheat, feed, fiber meat and what ever
should be totaled up and divided by the number of years in the study giving
true value of the output of an organic farming operation per unit area
compared to a conventional or modern farm. Showing how much far they are
really behind modern methods. With total production nearer 25% or less that
of a modern farm ran in an intensive operation.

Grin. So now you dream up an imaginary study, complete with results
showing -exactly- what is written on the inside of the welding glasses
you are wearing. :-)

pearl 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 02:47:37 -0500, "Gordon Couger" wrote:

Then for a true picture the total yield in some unit, dollar or pounds
sterling per acre in total yield of wheat, feed, fiber meat and what ever
should be totaled up and divided by the number of years in the study giving
true value of the output of an organic farming operation per unit area
compared to a conventional or modern farm. Showing how much far they are
really behind modern methods. With total production nearer 25% or less that
of a modern farm ran in an intensive operation.

Compare the yields here; http://tinyurl.com/uvdi .
Bear in mind;
'2. Lower yields are experienced during the transition to organic production
Most researchers agree that yields tend to drop for three to five
years during the conversion from industrial to organic approaches (Dabbert
and Madden, 1986; US Congress, 1983; Hanson et al, 1990; Lampkin,
1989; Smolik and Dobbs, 1991). This is because it takes time for the soil
to develop the positive attributes associated with organic agriculture. It
also takes time for operators to learn organic crop management techniques.
Some of the lower organic crop yield estimates cited in Exhibit III-1
may have been from industrial farms in transition to organic production.

Given that organic production relies on soil fertility and a healthy,
diverse soil ecosystem, the yield reductions experienced in the initial
phases of transition from industrial practices tend to be eliminated over
time (Sparling et al, 1992; pers. comm. Cornwoman; pers. comm. Tourte).
We note that the economic transition time can be twice as long as the
biological transition time; it can take an extra four years for the
farmer to fully recoup the financial losses that occurred during the
transition (Hanson et al, 1990). This transition period can be shortened
significantly with creativity (e.g. substituting crops, enhancing farm
gate sales efforts).

3. Organic crop yields are less variable than industrial yields

Organic crop yields are reportedly less variable than industrial
methods (Hanson et al, 1990). As well, growing season precipitation is
an important factor influencing crop yields and organic crop production
systems appear to perform better than industrial farming systems under
drought conditions (Smolik and Dobbs, 1991). Thus, sustainable crop
production provides a benefit to risk-averse farmers.

Based on the above, it appears that with strong farm management, small
scale, organic crop production can produce competitive and even superior
yields to industrially grown crops. Furthermore, just as research has
resulted in an improvement in yields for industrial crops (e.g. winter
wheat), there is likely to be similar improvement in yields for organic
crops as more research is conducted and organic farming methods
become more commonplace (Lampkin, 1989).
...'
http://www.manyfoldfarm.com/comfoosy...er3.htm#eiii-1

Chuck 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

Actually, the plots appear to be selected after the idea was formulated.
Good research makes a supposition and then does the experiment to prove it
factual, not the other way around.

Chuck

"Gordon Couger" wrote in message

Gordon Couger writes

Chuck 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

wrote:

[...]

..'
http://www.manyfoldfarm.com/comfoosy...er3.htm#eiii-1

Apparently you've never done any actual research either.

Chuck

ta 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

rick etter wrote:
[...]

Very good, thank you. FYI, here is some more information I came
across:

"In Drinkwater and colleagues' conventional, high-intensity system,
pesticides and mineral nitrogen fertilizer were applied to a
maize/soybean crop rotation just as on typical farms. Two 'organic'
alternatives represented partial returns to traditional agriculture,
and neither synthetic fertilizers nor pesticides were used. One of
these alternatives was a manure-based system in which grasses and
legumes, grown as part of a high-diversity crop rotation, were fed to
cattle. The resulting manure provided nitrogen for periodic maize
production. The other system did not include livestock; instead,
nitrogen fixed by a variety of legumes was incorporated into soil as
the source of nitrogen for maize.

Amazingly, ten-year-average maize yields differed by less than 1%
among the three cropping systems, which Drinkwater et al. say were
nearly equally profitable. The manure system, though, had significant
advantages. Soil organic matter and nitrogen content — measures of
soil fertility — increased markedly in the manure system (and, to a
lesser degree, in the legume system), but were unchanged or declined
in the conventional system. Moreover, the conventional system had
greater environmental impacts — 60% more nitrate was leached into
groundwater over a five-year period than in the manure or legume
systems."

http://tinyurl.com/2lpvs

and . . .

"some 223,000 farmers in southern Brazil using green manures and cover
crops of legumes and livestock integration have doubled yields of
maize and wheat to 4-5 tons/ha;

* some 45,000 farmers in Guatemala and Honduras have used regenerative
technologies to triple maize yields to some 2-2.5 tons/ha and
diversify their upland farms, which has led to local economic growth
that has in turn encouraged re-migration back from the cities;

* more than 300,000 farmers in southern and western India farming in
dryland conditions, and now using a range of water and soil management
technologies, have tripled sorghum and millet yields to some 2-2.5
tons/hectare;

* some 200,000 farmers across Kenya who as part of various government
and non-government soil and water conservation and sustainable
agriculture programmes have more than doubled their maize yields to
about 2.5 to 3.3 t/ha and substantially improved vegetable production
through the dry seasons;

* 100,000 small coffee farmers in Mexico who have adopted fully
organic production methods, and yet increased yields by half;

* a million wetland rice farmers in Bangladesh, China, India,
Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam who
have shifted to sustainable agriculture, where group-based
farmer-field schools have enabled farmers to learn alternatives to
pesticides whilst still increasing their yields by about 10%."

http://members.tripod.com/~ngin/article2.htm

Torsten Brinch 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

wrote:

Then for a true picture the total yield in some unit, dollar or pounds
sterling per acre in total yield of wheat, feed, fiber meat and what ever
should be totaled up and divided by the number of years in the study

giving
true value of the output of an organic farming operation per unit area
compared to a conventional or modern farm. Showing how much far they are
really behind modern methods. With total production nearer 25% or less

that
of a modern farm ran in an intensive operation.

Ever wondered how quoted lines get so bungled? It's because
you are using Outlook Express for posting. It has a bug which makes
them so. I think you will agree, it is not pretty. You'd do yourself
and everyone a favor by downloading and installing the fix for the
problem. He

(And no, it is not a virus or anything, it is a very fine fix, you
won't regret.)

len gardener 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

g'day pete,

hope things are fairing well in your neck of the woods, like most a
bit of rain wouldn't go astray to say the least.

we look at managing our pests more than trying to erradicate so we are
probably less tempted to go for the big guns, my main driving force is
bad health that i feel was at least contributed to by residues in what
is perported to be fresh fruits and vege's.

so in our garden we accept some quiet visible predation by bugs, as
yet our system is young so the good guys are still to come into
balance, but they are appearing, and we attract very many birds around
our food growing areas they also help. but for us it will be the
chilly spray and coffee spray.

we too are managing our resource using basically a common sense
approach and all is working quiet well in our books.

and for countries that need to import fresh food due to lack of
agricultural land or whatever well! that is a whole other issue, but
maybe community farms may go part the way to bridging the gap a lot of
staple foods can be grown on a 5 acre patch. and people can grow a lot
of the other stuff they want in containers. just some thoughts.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

len gardener 09-06-2004 03:18 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

where'd you buy yor binnoculars pete, i can't see me own hand though
mine lol, g'day janet.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Dutch 09-06-2004 03:19 PM

Torsten Brinch wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:08:36 GMT, "Chuck"
"pearl" wrote

wrote:

[...]

Very nice! thanks

pearl 09-06-2004 03:19 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

"Chuck" wrote in message
ink.net...

http://www.manyfoldfarm.com/comfoosy...er3.htm#eiii-1 404

( http://tinyurl.com/uvdi )

Apparently you've never done any actual research either.

Chuck

I've not personally compared organic and industrial yield, no,
... the people that prepared the above report 'Adding Values
to Our Food System: An Economic Analysis of Sustainable
Community Food Systems', for the United States Department
of Agriculture Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education
Program, Utah State University, did that "actual research".

Pete 09-06-2004 03:19 PM

"len gardener" wrote in message
[...]

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment

Hiya Len
Good to se you're still around too mate.
My ISP's news server has been having some hiccups and some posts of mine
didn't get posted so I now have a couple of different newservers so if my
posts look like they came from somewhere else they probably did.

We are getting some rain here ..dribs and drabs mostly but big thunderstorm
last night ... so far its looking pretty good for the farmers seeding and we
are hoping to build on last years effort of rejuvenating one of the small
paddocks (if I get me Fergie tractor back together again quickly).

At this time of year the biggest pests are the snails, we don't get many
slugs (unless they are just hiding from me) and its also the time of year
when the Sleepy lizards go to sleep for the winter so they are no help in
controlling the snails, definitely need some ducks.

One of the troubles I have is protecting the young plants from lizards so I
planted some stuff (mainly herbs) in old cut down water tanks which of
course stops lizards from getting to the plants but also stops em from
getting to the pests too.

As far as the flying sap sucking type of bugs go I think the Little Willie
wagtail is the king of bug eating birds and although the African boxthorn
plant is a declared pest here they seem to prefer this shrub for nesting in
on my place, so I have one that will stay just as a home for these little
guys.

A couple of weeks ago the whole place was swarming with flying ants and
other "midgy" type insects then the dragonflies moved in and I was
fascinated just standing in the middle of the paddock watching millions of
em eat their way through the swarms ..it really was like being in another
world ... if you've ever stood in one of those butterfly houses and been
surrounded by that eerie silence as butterflies flutter inches from your
nose you'll know what I mean, they even seem to look directly in your eyes
(no I wasn't drunk :-)).

I don't blame anyone for using synthetic means to control pests, each to
his/her own...but I just couldn't do it.

I love doing things the way I do em ...right or wrong ....and nature never
ceases to amaze me, I don't want to do anything to stop being amazed.

Pete

len gardener 09-06-2004 03:19 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

g'day pete,

yeh we still here, just about to give up on the alt.pc news group it
looked almost dead of late, not like those good ole days a few years
back.

the willy is a great bug eater, legend is that he is supposed to be
bad luck in your garden, ah but who cares them and their close cousins
the fly catcher (we have), and babbler, yellow rumped thornbills,
piplets etc.,. etc.,. the bugs have a hard time.

we have that snail the little cigar shaped one gets to around oh i
dunno 1/2" peky little ting if we don't keep on top of them they even
eat the yellow part of the skin on the lemonade fruit. no never been
in a butterfly house but i can well imagine what you mean, we're even
encouraging the owls to come back seems if a care to look outside
after dark there is usualy one flying around or sitting on one of our
poles, so things are looking realy rosy.

we've planted a lot of trees over the last 12 months 300+ so this
place should look a treat in a couple of years when they all reach a
visible height, we have managed to control the blady grass and now
ahve vwery little of it, a wide variety of pasture grasses exotics and
natives ranging from calf height to head height some almost to 2
meters. be good to win lotto ad get some calves on here for fattening
they would love it.

as me signature line says hey pete? "you gotta do what you gotta do"
hey, if you need to use a quick fix then that's it just that it is
done with all eyes open. our food orchids are doing well heaps of
manda's and lemonade fruits this year, the top tropical orchard has
lots of holes to fill losses due to the place being so dry and we
being too impatient. but the trees that are up there are having a
minimising efect on the frosts and we can actualy sit under the shade
of a young tree that we planted something that wasn't there before.

currently we are gathering different varieties of bunching and those
type onions and leeks so we can keep ourselves supplied in some sort
for the table at all times. i'm also cheif garlic grower for ted and
us.

ted's doing well he is starting to see some fruits for his efforts
vege garden wise this is the common scenerio when we take on degraded
land hey.

anyhow you take care i'm ready for a chat anytime all the time.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Sirius631 09-06-2004 06:07 PM

In article , "Pete" writes:

[...]

When growing our own, there is nothing like a successful organic system. What I
have is nothing like a successful organic system. I either have to improve
rapidly, or continue to accept predation. I don't see any genuine alternative
to organics when it comes down to soil improvement. Good old muck and sweat! I
might be able to talk my neighbours into letting me use some of their
'wasteland' for a chicken coup, so I can get a new input/output interface.

Talk about people in Scotland sunbathing, for a sun worshiper like me there is
a conflict with permaculture - my best secluded sunbathing patch is also my
best growing patch. Suppose I should be happy to save water by not wearing
clothes that I have to then wash ;)

Pete 10-06-2004 09:05 AM

[...]

Don't give up on the old NG .... we'll stir some of them lurkers outa their
holes
Looks like you've been real busy with the tree planting .. I looked at the
list on your site. that's impressive mate ... did ya have to keep wiping the
sweat from Bev's brow while she planted em ? ... the things we do for them
wimmin eh? ... they just don't know how lucky they are, I even pass
Maureen's welding rods for her sometimes .... wears me out I tell ya.

I've been trying to get old Fergie ready for turning the soil a little, last
year we had a good combination of natural growth and a little barley we
threw around that we are eager to try to see if we can improve on the ground
cover and we are planting some old man salt bush around some low lying,
salty areas to try to lower the water table around those problem areas.

Fergie has had a total strip down, derust and paint job ...which started off
as a water pump replacement... which led to replacing some oil seals and
which in turn led to lots of parts being replaced cos I snapped and bent
things as I removed em because they were sooo rusty ... but she fired up on
the 3rd turn after being sat for 3 months in bits ..not bad for a 51 year
old ex boat tractor.. still some wiring and a bit more painting to do then
she'll be too sexy for her own good.

I remember Mollison saying that if you can turn the top few centimetres and
improve that then go a little deeper each year you can achieve a good deep
structure which will not only allow moisture in but retain it longer, the
area I am working has been fairly well sealed by previous rains to a point
where before last year it wouldn't allow any moisture in and after lightly
turning the top and throwing a bit of seed around we were amazed at the
amount of natural seed that must have been lying dormant waiting for a more
suitable structure and some rain of course.

We had a good storm the other night and got 40 points (10 mm) out of it...
don't larf that's a torrent for us ... so you can see we need to catch and
try to hold all the rain we get... cos we don't get that much.

I hand dug a biggish pond and thought I'd have a few yabbies ... the
Cormorants had other ideas .... I tried fish ... they liked them even more
......... so I have this big hole in the ground ... got any ideas ? (apart
from burying Cormorants.. I thought of that one) I also have a big mound of
earth at the side of the big hole ... looks like it would just fit in there
nicely.

Good to hear Ted is getting his place together as well .... He's on a good
wicket getting you to grow his garlic for him .... What is it about Onions
and garlic ? I love growing them ... Onions take a season and a half out of
the garden patch but I reckon the garden isn't complete without rows of
onions in it .... I just wish Onions liked me as much as I like them
:-(

take care mate

Pete

Pete 10-06-2004 09:06 AM

"Sirius631" wrote in message
When growing our own, there is nothing like a successful organic system.

What I
have is nothing like a successful organic system. I either have to improve
rapidly, or continue to accept predation. I don't see any genuine

alternative
to organics when it comes down to soil improvement. Good old muck and

sweat! I
might be able to talk my neighbours into letting me use some of their
'wasteland' for a chicken coup, so I can get a new input/output interface.

Don't talk to me about muck and sweat ....... ok ya can this seems the right
place, we have to improve every bit of soil we plant in ... our soil (or
whatever it is) is very salty and has little organic matter ..it is soupy
when wet and rock hard when dry, it gets to a stage where it is almost
impossible to re-wet it ... a lot of Aussie soils have this unwettable
characteristic ... its a weird one.

Talk about people in Scotland sunbathing, for a sun worshiper like me

there is
a conflict with permaculture - my best secluded sunbathing patch is also

my
best growing patch. Suppose I should be happy to save water by not wearing
clothes that I have to then wash ;)

You need to grow broad leaf plants so ya can quickly dash under em if anyone
comes ... Pumpkin leaves are good for that but ya get a bit muddy rolling
under em .....erm or so I'm told.....

should we start calling you Adam ?
Dont eat the apple !!!

Pete

len gardener 10-06-2004 07:04 PM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

g'day pete,

be good if you can stuir them up we used to have good chat before and
lots of it.

yeh trouble is she folds too quickly under the noon day sun gotta keep
using the cattle prod lol. she has been a great supporter and partner
through all this.

sounds like you've got an old classic restored there in fergie, you
must be a pillar of patience. sounds like you are doing great guns
with you soil ted has a salt probem in his soil not like yours i would
think, in his case there is too high a levle of salt content, so
everything he did initialy was a dissapointment to him but he is
starting to win now.

mmm you realy do have a low rainfall area but like you say you do
things to trap and hold as much of the water for as long as possible,
even though we are in a much higher fall area than you the rain that
used to fall was doing very little for anything it just ran straight
off the top, but now that we have gotten it into the sub-surface
things tend to grow more than die and we can sustain a longer dry
period than other before our grasses show it.

maybe you could turn the hole into a health spa? make some un
supportable sorry supportable claim and attract lots of nubile um
ladies you get me drift, i always say to bev if we don't make it with
perma-c here i might turn itn into a nudist colony for ladies um and i
could vet all applicants so to speak huh lol, ok ladies only jokin
only jokin.

right now we are back on the market still fine tuning realtionship
problems but we will be going this time, but i was planning on more
garden beds so i could devote 1 bed to each type of onion thingy and
maybe2 or 3 beds for garlic, as it is nigh on impossible to get local
grown garlic anymore up here that chinese bleached white imported
stuff ahs flooded the market. thsi will dry up reserves of plantable
corms for people like us and make buying this stuff fresh for use is
going to get expensive could be a bit of a money spinner in years to
come.

the best to you and yours

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Sirius631 12-06-2004 08:05 AM

In article , "Pete" writes:

should we start calling you Adam ?

rofl. It's been hot and humid here over the last few days. I find that being
raw, so to speak, stops me feeling grimey, thus helps cut down on the water I'd
use having extra showers.

Sirius631 12-06-2004 08:05 AM

In article , "Pete" writes:

Don't talk to me about muck and sweat ....... ok ya can this seems the right
place, we have to improve every bit of soil we plant in ... our soil (or
whatever it is) is very salty and has little organic matter ..it is soupy
when wet and rock hard when dry, it gets to a stage where it is almost
impossible to re-wet it ... a lot of Aussie soils have this unwettable
characteristic ... its a weird one.

Sounds like raised beds would be the best bet. That is is what I'm using. I
can't keep all the soil moist all the time with my rain water storage and
supply capacity. I do need to expand this, but finances might soon dictate that
I sould have held on to the cash. I can take solice in the fact that sparrows,
which have been suffering a big dip in numbers, will invade in hoards to take a
dust bath when the soil gets to that hydrophobic state.

Pete 13-06-2004 10:03 AM

Organic does not mean pesticide free...

"len gardener" wrote in message
Snippings

i always say to bev if we don't make it with
perma-c here i might turn itn into a nudist colony

Len meet David ... David meet Len ....

Ok I snipped the "for ladies bit" :-) cos David is looking for somewhere to
sunworship.

right now we are back on the market still fine tuning realtionship
problems but we will be going this time,

So ... as soon as I come back on the group you decide to move house so I
can't find ya eh?
Are you looking for somewhere with land again Len or are you thinking of
becoming a city kid again?

but i was planning on more
garden beds so i could devote 1 bed to each type of onion thingy and
maybe2 or 3 beds for garlic, as it is nigh on impossible to get local
grown garlic anymore up here that chinese bleached white imported
stuff ahs flooded the market. thsi will dry up reserves of plantable
corms for people like us and make buying this stuff fresh for use is
going to get expensive could be a bit of a money spinner in years to
come.

I agree about the garlic though we still get a fair bit of locally grown
stuff in our nearest greengrocers ... I'm hoping to get a reasonably sized
shadehouse finished this year and produce some seedlings and maybe seed for
sale. I saw in a garden/hardware shop recently...a punnett of half a dozen
cabbage plants for $5.00 !!! thats unbelievable, they were the most
unhealthy looking plants too.

Good luck with the sale and move when it happens mate.

Pete