Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Monique Reed

Default Castor oil beens seeds no longer

Candlestick Senna (Senna alata) doesn't look a thing like Ricinus, but
it grows very tall, has big pinnately compound leaves, and produces
lots of very nice yellow flowers. If you're looking for something
lush and tropical, it will suit. It should do well in an unheated
glasshouse, if there is enough light.

Monique Reed

Roy wrote:

I have been looking around buying my seeds for the year and I always buy
caster oil seeds, but they seem to have been removed of the shelves in the
UK because of the terrorists, and the production of ricin.
Any ideas what plant could replace it for my conservatory, (I like large
foliage,) which is unheated in the winter. I usually get it to flower
before it dies of the cold. I would like to grow it from seed, as it is
cheaper than buy plants.
Roy

Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Roy
writes
I have been looking around buying my seeds for the year and I always buy
caster oil seeds, but they seem to have been removed of the shelves in the
UK because of the terrorists, and the production of ricin.
Any ideas what plant could replace it for my conservatory, (I like large
foliage,) which is unheated in the winter. I usually get it to flower
before it dies of the cold. I would like to grow it from seed, as it is
cheaper than buy plants.

The other plants I've seen used as spot foliage plants in bedding, in
the same way as Ricinus, are Cannas and variegated Abutilons (A.
'Thompsonii' and A. 'Souvenir de Bonn'). The Abutilons are borderline
hardy in the UK; they'll survive in a warm microclimate. I assume that
they're propagated from cuttings, and from the large numbers planted as
easily so propagated.

If you're after large foliage, perhaps Musella would do the trick.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Roy

Many thanks Monique I will start looking for the seeds I do like something
large, many thanks for your tip.
Roy

Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Roy

I think what Monique has suggested would be better as I want something large
to fill the conservatory,
Candlestick Senna (Senna alata) it sounds a good replacement for caster oil
plant, as I want something large, and the flowers are tempting. Many thanks.
Roy
In article , Roy
writes

Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
bill sherren

"Roy" wrote in message
I have been looking around buying my seeds for the year and I always buy
caster oil seeds, but they seem to have been removed of the shelves in the
UK because of the terrorists, and the production of ricin.
Any ideas what plant could replace it for my conservatory, (I like large
foliage,) which is unheated in the winter. I usually get it to flower
before it dies of the cold. I would like to grow it from seed, as it is
cheaper than buy plants.
Roy

I believe that Thompson & Morgan are still supplying seeds.

bill