Old 15-04-2003, 08:44 PM
John

Default Green Hibiscus Leaves

Hi,
Often when I see hibiscus plants for sale is a nursery, their leaves are an
envious dark green, darker than those on plants growing outside and darker
than I can make them with a balanced fertilizer. What is it that people add
to these plants to cause the leaves to turn so dark?

Thanks,

John
Old 15-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , John
writes
Hi,
Often when I see hibiscus plants for sale is a nursery, their leaves are an
envious dark green, darker than those on plants growing outside and darker
than I can make them with a balanced fertilizer. What is it that people add
to these plants to cause the leaves to turn so dark?

I'm told that it's a side effect of a dwarfing agent used on the plants
to make them suitable for use as pot plants.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-04-2003, 06:20 PM
John

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in
:

In article , John
writes
Hi,
Often when I see hibiscus plants for sale is a nursery, their leaves
are an envious dark green, darker than those on plants growing outside
and darker than I can make them with a balanced fertilizer. What is it
that people add to these plants to cause the leaves to turn so dark?

I'm told that it's a side effect of a dwarfing agent used on the plants
to make them suitable for use as pot plants.

Stewart,
What you say is interesting and you are probably correct. I have a large
collection of hibisci, all of which I started from cuttings. (One of these
came from Bali in Indonesia). None of my plants has had the benefit of a
dwarfing agent.

John