Old 02-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Blaze1

Default Please help me ID this plant!

Hello,

I need to identify a plant in my yard.

This plant grows creeping along the ground. The leaves are thick and almost
rubbery to touch. The flower in the picture is just under the size of a
dime. This plant is very robust around my yard. it has popped up in various
places quite some distance from one another.

While it's not a bad looking plant, it grows rapidly and starts to over grow
the boundry of the dirt. (ie. starts to creep onto the path/patio). It also
starts to choke out other plants, frequently growing throughout the leaves
and branches of other flowers.

I live in Southern California.

Can someone please ID this plant by the picture I have posted here (same
pic, various sizes):

http://www.nfxtech.com/files/idplant_sm.jpg
http://www.nfxtech.com/files/idplant_med.jpg
http://www.nfxtech.com/files/idplant_lg.jpg

And if you have any background info/links on it I would also be very
appreciative.

Old 03-05-2003, 02:08 AM
tbell

I believe this is "Red Apple, " or aptenia cordifolia, which you'll find,
for starters, on page 195 of the 2001 edition of the Sunset Western
Garden book.
Tom

From: "Blaze1"
Newsgroups:
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden ,bionet.plants,rec.gardens,s
ci.bio.botany,sdnet.gardening
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 14:42:32 -0700
Subject: Please help me ID this plant!

Old 03-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Blaze1

Bingo! right on the money it is indeed considered "Ice Plant" but the exact
name is as TBell stated.

Thank you!

Old 03-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Cereoid-XXXXX

Your plant is typical purple flowered Aptenia cordifolia.

Aptenia 'Red Apple' is a garden hybrid between purple flowered Aptenia
cordifolia and yellow flowered Aptenia haeckeliana. It is a more robust
plant than genuine Aptenia cordifolia.

Why all the cross posting for such a common and easily identified plant?

From: "Blaze1"

Old 03-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Cereoid-XXXXX

Many of the Mesembryanthema used in landscaping are commonly called "Ice
Plant" as are a number of cold hardy Sedum and Hylotelephium in the
Crassulaceae. Common names are really not that useful.

Carolyn LeCrone wrote in message
Is it ice plant?