Old 21-09-2003, 10:03 PM
PCG

Default Illegal Garden at Choa Chu Kang Must Move

Everyone... pls write to the MPs (Minister of Parliament) of Hong Kah GRC
in support of Mr. William Ng.
To find the email address of the MPs, check

http://www.parliament.gov.sg/Parliam...Htdocs/hh.html

Humane Earth Loving People (HELP)

===================
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/030922/5/singapore49575.html

If you are a Choa Chu Kang resident, you may have noticed a small garden
nestled between a school and a HDB flat .
But beautiful as it may be, the garden may soon be gone as it is illegal.

Sunflowers, orchids, herbs and many other fruit trees and plants lie on this
little patch of sunshine nestled between Block 551 in Choa Chu Kang Street
52 and De La Salle School.

And the greenfingers behind this, is 48-year-old William Ng.

His love affair with plants began years ago and has literally bore fruit,
from guavas to chikus!

In fact, his efforts have resulted in the sprawling 3-metre tall sunflower
plant which at last count, had more than 40 flowers!

With a school just next door, the garden has also become an extension of the
classroom.

"When I was planting the tapioca, some students ask me, 'hey uncle, why are
you burying the wood in the soil for what?' It makes me feel our younger
generation, really needs to gain general knowledge about plants," said Mr
Ng.

But his garden won't be here for long.

The Hong Kah Town Council is asking Mr Ng to join the Resident's Committee's
Gardening Club and to move his plants to the Club's plot of land about 500
metres away.

This, it said, is because individual residents cannot plant on public land.

But Mr Ng hopes some of the plants can stay.

"I'm worried that the plants when they're transferred to another place, some
would die," he said.

There isn't a deadline to move just yet, but the Town Council said it will
work closely with him to decide the fate of the plants.

Old 25-09-2003, 01:46 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Should we be supporting the man's foolishness?

The dude brought the problems upon himself.

He knew better than to plant on land that wasn't his.

He knew he was breaking the law but did it anyway.

He should have tried to set up a public garden from the beginning.