Old 03-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Louise

Default NEED HELP - Unidentified gymnosperm cone

Hi! I'm wondering if there someone who can help me to identify a gymno
sp. by its cone. I don't have any picture right now to send, but I will
soon.

My boyfriend brought it back from California state and since he doesn't
know anything about plants, he just brought back the cone and no info on
the tree or other characteristics. It looks like a Ponderosa pine (Pinus
ponderosa) cone a lot, but it is much bigger : it mesures around 30cm.
The "scales" are thick at their end, just like a piece of wood and the
"mucron" (sorry! I only know the french term) is longer and more curved.
The edges of the "scales" are also very sharp. Right now, the only
reference I have is a book on canadian trees species... I'm wondering if
southernmost specimens would make bigger cones since the growth
conditions are better?

thanks for the help!

Old 03-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Scott Ranger

Sounds like you have a Jeffery pine cone. It is very closely related to Ponderosa pines, and grows at higher elevations. When I took plant taxonomy in southern California, the test on gymnosperms included a "blind" test of pine cones. The professor put an assortment of cones in a box that we had to put our hand in and feel the cones and identify them. Your description brought back this memory. Jeffrey cones can be up to 11 3/4 inches long, very close to your 30 cm. That is a huge cone for Jeffrey, but possible.

Scott Ranger

Old 03-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Louise

It's a Coulter pine (Pinus coulteri)... photos and description I've
found are very similar to what I have.
Many thanks!

Old 03-04-2003, 07:08 PM
mel turner

In article , wrote...

[...]

Sounds just like Coulter pine, _Pinus coulteri_:

http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conif...n/coulteri.htm
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol.../Pcoulteri.htm
http://www.nearctica.com/trees/conifer/pinus/Pcoult.htm

_Pinus sabiniana_ also has large [but smaller] cones, also with
prominent umbos [those hook-like spines] at the tips of the
scales.

http://www.parks.ci.portland.or.us/u...rees/PISA.html

The location of the source within California may help sort out
the identification.

cheers

Old 03-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Scott Ranger

Coulter pine cones are unmistakable. They are HUGE, with umbos that can reach 3 inches. They look nothing like a Ponderosa cone. The lower umbos project outward and they reduce in size as the reach the upper (actually this is upside down, since the big ones are at the point of cone attachment, the top, and the little ones are at the distal end, the bottom). If one happened to sleep under a Coulter pine and a cone fell, it could be disastrous. They can weigh up to 10 pounds! They are common in the Transition and Upper Sonoran life zone throughout southern California. They are something of a "shaggy" tree with blue-gray foliage. Here in Georgia I've got two huge Coulter pine cones on my window ledge along with almost 2 dozen others.

Scott Ranger

"Louise" wrote in message ...
Hi! I'm wondering if there someone who can help me to identify a gymno sp. by its cone. I don't have any picture right now to send, but I will soon.

My boyfriend brought it back from California state and since he doesn't know anything about plants, he just brought back the cone and no info on the tree or other characteristics. It looks like a Ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) cone a lot, but it is much bigger : it mesures around 30cm. The "scales" are thick at their end, just like a piece of wood and the "mucron" (sorry! I only know the french term) is longer and more curved. The edges of the "scales" are also very sharp. Right now, the only reference I have is a book on canadian trees species... I'm wondering if southernmost specimens would make bigger cones since the growth conditions are better?

thanks for the help!

Watering cone set clearance TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 10-08-2004 08:26 PM
Pine Cone Ginger Dan Gardening 0 25-05-2004 11:03 AM
-cone flowers- Enuf Gardening 31 16-11-2003 03:02 AM
NEED HELP - Unidentified gymnosperm cone Louise Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:31 PM
NEED HELP - Big gymnosperm cone unidentified Louise Plant Biology 1 03-04-2003 06:44 AM