Old 05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Hibiscus

I heard that I missed out on the splitting up of _Hibiscus_, with a
segregate _Talipariti_?
PvR.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes
I heard that I missed out on the splitting up of _Hibiscus_, with a
segregate _Talipariti_?
PvR.

Paul A. Fryxell, Talipariti (Malvaceae), a segregate from Hibiscus,
Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium, 23: 225-270
(2001) [I've seen bits of this.]

Talipariti consists of 22 species from section Azanzae (archiboldianum,
aruense, bornense, bowersieae, celebicum, crestaense, dalbertisii,
elatum, ellipticifolium, glabrum, hamabo, hastatum, leeuwenii,
macrophyllum, pleijtei, potteri, pseudotiliaceum, schlechteri,
sepikense, simile, tiliaceum, tortuosum; pernambucense is treated as a
variety of tiliaceum.) I've been told that not all species of Azanzae
were transferred, but I wasn't told of the identity of any untransferred
species.

However DNA sequence data has Talipariti nested within Hibiscus. See
B.E. Pfeil et al, Phylogeny of Hibiscus and the Tribe Hibisceae
(Malvaceae) Using Chloroplast DNA Sequences of ndfH and the rpl16 Intron
(2002)

Talipariti (2 species sampled) falls with Papuodendron (1 species
sampled). On this data one can't say whether Papuodendron (2 species
recognised) is sister to or nested within Talipariti. Jointly they are
sister to Hibiscus section Furcaria.

Decaschistia is nested within Furcaria (except that Decaschistia is not
extensively sampled, so there are other hypotheses consistent with the
DNA sequence data). All sampled species in "Malvavisceae" (sunk in
Hibisceae in Kubitzki & Bayer) fall into a clade containing parts of
Hibiscus section Ketmia, sections Solandra and Panduriformes, and
Abelmoschus and Fioria. (All subject to qualifications on sampling.)

Hence, Hibiscus may look rather different in the future, but I'm not
able to predict what it will look like.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 05-04-2003, 09:32 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel writes
I heard that I missed out on the splitting up of _Hibiscus_, with a

segregate _Talipariti_?
PvR.

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
[...]

+ + +
I will try and dig up the new publication by Fryxell next week (I do have
his book, and the latest in the series by Kubitzki is in-library), but it
does not sound as if I will get the hang of this. Maybe, in the end, this
will go the same way as Magnolia?
PvR

Old 07-04-2003, 07:56 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel writes
[...]

P van Rijckevorsel schreef
I will try and dig up the new publication by Fryxell next week (I do have
his book, and the latest in the series by Kubitzki is in-library), but it
does not sound as if I will get the hang of this. Maybe, in the end, this
will go the same way as Magnolia?
PvR

+ + +
The book by Kubitzki was indeed in-library, but added little. The relevant
issue of the journal should have been in, but wasn't. All in all progress
was only just above zero.
PvR

Yellow hibiscus 23 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:05 AM
Hibiscus-2656 Maroochy Garden Photos 4 01-04-2009 01:11 AM
hibiscus bushes alicia Gardening 1 01-09-2003 04:12 PM
Hibiscus seeds TakeThisOut Gardening 2 20-03-2003 03:44 PM
Hibiscus pruning T.L.Miller Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:54 PM