Old 02-09-2006, 01:04 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default ID grass

Hello,

after some books i discovered grass is very multifarious.. i still
wonder about this:
http://hirnsohle.de/pics/gras.jpg

what plant is that exactly? (it is not so orange in real as shot on
sunset, no sharper image available.) date & time: summer, northern
germany, border of field.

thanks & greets
Paul
Old 02-09-2006, 07:32 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article , Paul Geisler wrote:
after some books i discovered grass is very multifarious.. i still
wonder about this:
http://hirnsohle.de/pics/gras.jpg

Looks to me like Cocksfoot (Dactylis glomerata) but you'd need to check
the stem and leaves against a key to be sure.

Roger

Old 03-09-2006, 07:11 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Paul Geisler wrote:
after some books i discovered grass is very multifarious.. i still
wonder about this:
http://hirnsohle.de/pics/gras.jpg

"Roger Whitehead" schreef
Looks to me like Cocksfoot (Dactylis glomerata) but you'd need to check
the stem and leaves against a key to be sure.

***
Looks like /Dactylis glomerata/ to me also.
PvR

Old 14-09-2006, 05:16 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

as two of you are the same opinion a have to agree :-)

in my books, dactylis glomerata looks more like this
http://www.boga.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/h...rata_Foto.html
and i think the one on my image has simplier, smaller and more
homogeneous structure. but maybe the book/page image is taken at
different season, i can't deny.

many thanks & greets
Paul

Old 14-09-2006, 08:23 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Paul Geisler" schreef
as two of you are the same opinion a have to agree :-)

in my books, dactylis glomerata looks more like this
http://www.boga.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/h...rata_Foto.html
and i think the one on my image has simplier, smaller and more
homogeneous structure. but maybe the book/page image is taken at
different season, i can't deny.

***
Well, your picture doesn't allow anything like a positive identification, so
you would have to check up close. Certainly, Dactylis glomerata is a common
enough grass, so it should not be hard to find comparative material.
PvR

Old 14-09-2006, 08:29 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default ID grass--Dactylis

The inflorescences on Dactylis glomerata can vary quite a bit in size
and density. It's not common here, so in our graduate level
agrostology class, the prof had us study herbarium sheets. All the ones
we had to look at were rather depauperate, and on the ID quiz he made
sure to put a big, lush one, just to make it harder...

M. Reed