Old 06-01-2007, 05:30 AM posted to alt.suicide.holiday,sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens

Default Help me identify this tree

Where is this tree from?

Is this tree a Bristlecone Pine?

Or an ancient tree from Africa?

Or where?

Here is the video of the tree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnp6bCDweM

~tkc~

Old 06-01-2007, 06:04 AM posted to alt.suicide.holiday,sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens

out of sheer curiousity, why?
ps.com...

Old 06-01-2007, 07:19 AM posted to alt.suicide.holiday,sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens

On 5 Jan 2007 21:30:13 -0800, "The Kearsley Curse"
wrote:

Where is this tree from?

Is this tree a Bristlecone Pine?

Or an ancient tree from Africa?

Or where?

Here is the video of the tree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnp6bCDweM

~tkc~

doesn't look much like the bristlecone pines I've seen.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 AM posted to alt.suicide.holiday,sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens

I think it is an African Acacia

http://205.243.100.155/photos/Acacia1.jpg

They are a dominant feature in the African Savannah and form part of
the eco-system without them no animals. It's getting hotter and drier
in Africa.

http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/where...a_savannas.cfm

Old 06-01-2007, 11:29 AM posted to alt.suicide.holiday,sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens

Cheeky Frog wrote:
I think it is an African Acacia

http://205.243.100.155/photos/Acacia1.jpg

They are a dominant feature in the African Savannah and form part of
the eco-system without them no animals. It's getting hotter and drier
in Africa.

http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/where...a_savannas.cfm

There are several species I think the species is here
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantab/...aciaeriol3.jpg

"Acacia erioloba" which has a thick and twisted trunk and can live for
a few hundred years. It's trunks are like iron.

Some sources list the tree in questions as the 'tree of life' from the
garden of eden that are some solitary specimens that store water in the
trunks but those are baobabs

See images here
http://images.google.co.uk/images?sv...&btnG=S earch

I think the tree and backgorund in the video has been semi-created and
refers to the Tree of Life that Adam and Eve had the apple from.

Either species would make interesting bonsai

Nice video

Old 06-01-2007, 06:34 PM posted to alt.suicide.holiday,sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

The Kearsley Curse wrote:
Where is this tree from?

Is this tree a Bristlecone Pine?

Or an ancient tree from Africa?

Or where?

Here is the video of the tree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnp6bCDweM

~tkc~

possibly a baobab tree? Floyd has used them before in their art on
Delicate Sound Of Thunder.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:57 PM posted to alt.suicide.holiday,sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens

hello Cheeky,
sounds very interesting what you describe - are you engaged in such topics
like desertification / renaturalisation?
personally I'm looking for pioneer plants and prservation of enangered
species
cheers kauhl

"Cheeky Frog" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...

Old 08-01-2007, 10:51 PM posted to alt.suicide.holiday,sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens

Thanks to Cheeky Frog and Lar and others.

Yes, you could be correct. It may be the Baobab tree. And thanks for
your input.

Please see this link: http://www.championtrees.org/champions/baobab.htm

Again, thanks.

~tkc~