Old 22-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Steve

Default Can you help me identify and save this sick tree?

I live in East Scotland and have a beautiful but unidentified tree that is
about 5m tall and has lovely pink and white new leaves (or maybe bracts?)
at this time of year. Last year it developed a disease of some sort which
causes the shoots to die back from the tip, going black and splitting.
Cutting out all the diseased parts as they developed last year didn't help.
There are pictures at http://www.rosebud.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
any help identifying the tree and or the disease would be very much
appreciated

TIA

Steve

---

Old 22-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Saffy

"Steve" wrote in message
I live in East Scotland and have a beautiful but unidentified tree that

is
about 5m tall and has lovely pink and white new leaves (or maybe bracts?)
at this time of year. Last year it developed a disease of some sort which
causes the shoots to die back from the tip, going black and splitting.
Cutting out all the diseased parts as they developed last year didn't

help.
There are pictures at http://www.rosebud.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
any help identifying the tree and or the disease would be very much
appreciated

TIA

Steve

We have one of these in our garden and I believe it is called "the
handkerchief tree" although I cannot be certain. I have also been told that
if you cut it back it encourages the leaves to have lots of lovely colours.
It is a lovely tree, but is big so we tend to cut it to keep it at about 7
feet tall cos we only have a small garden.

Saffy.

Old 22-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Saffy

"Saffy" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry to reply to my own post, but having searched the internet I now
disagree with what I have been told in the past. It is not a handkerchief
tree. I have also been told it is a type of Poplar which makes sense as it
has pretty invasive roots.

Saffy

Old 22-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Steve" contains these words:

I live in East Scotland and have a beautiful but unidentified tree that is
about 5m tall and has lovely pink and white new leaves (or maybe bracts?)
at this time of year. Last year it developed a disease of some sort which
causes the shoots to die back from the tip, going black and splitting.
Cutting out all the diseased parts as they developed last year didn't help.
There are pictures at http://www.rosebud.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
any help identifying the tree and or the disease would be very much
appreciated

TIA

Steve

I think your tree might be Populus x candicans 'Aurora' but I'm afraid I
don't know what the disease is.

Janet G

Old 23-06-2003, 02:32 AM
shannie

"Steve" wrote in message
I live in East Scotland and have a beautiful but unidentified tree that

is
about 5m tall and has lovely pink and white new leaves (or maybe bracts?)
at this time of year. Last year it developed a disease of some sort which
causes the shoots to die back from the tip, going black and splitting.
Cutting out all the diseased parts as they developed last year didn't

help.
There are pictures at http://www.rosebud.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
any help identifying the tree and or the disease would be very much
appreciated

TIA

Steve

Hi Steve,

I've had this tree...populus canadensis Aurea...variagated poplar...in my
front garden for seven years now, in order to keep it's wonderful colour it
needs to be kept at a height of between 6 - 8 ft. We keep ours around the 7
mark. We had a very similar problem with ours late last summer and again
early this year we found it starting again, we also found it was infested
with caterpillars. We dealt with the caterpillar problem by spraying with
syndol and two weeks ago took out the secateurs and gave it a good pruning,
we literally freed up the inside of the tree, cutting out any branches that
were crossing each other, we left the outer branches so as to keep its
shape. Essentially we thinned the inside parts to allow lots of light and
air in. When all that was done we gave it a good feed with nettle
fertiliser. After only two weeks the tree has lots and lots of new shoots,
the variagation is absolutely beautiful, pink, peach, white, green and
yellow and the catterpillars are gone. We're very pleased with the job. This
was all done *in the hopes* it was the right way of going about the problem,
we were basically working on instinct, but it certainly seems to have made
a marked difference to the tree so it's worked for us and it wasn't caker
as we originally thought.

This snippett from GQT may help

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/fshe...sheetsq7.shtml

HTH