Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-04-2007, 08:06 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

Default how widespread is the cambium layer

I had some awful rabbit attacks on a locust sapling and a 5 year old
apple tree whose trunk was about the
thickness of my upper arm. The rabbits ate all the way around and
about a band width of my hand. I had thought
both were going to die. But the locust started putting green circular
spots where the rabbits had eaten and the
tree is coming back in full force. The apple tree was hit worse by the
rabbits and appears as though the leaves
are coming in full force also.

So what is the deal with cambium and what does it take to kill a tree
by its cambium?

I suppose if someone took a Swede saw and sawed all the way around,
that the tree would still live as it
would bridge that small incision cut. But if one took a chain saw all
the way around to a depth of fingernail
that such would kill the tree.

Anyway expert in cambium layer. Seems like a lot of myths on this
subject.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium